Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2005, 08:49 AM

Default Ace pops against QQ vs TAGish

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, UTG+1 calls.

UTG+1 is 16/9/1.5

Turn: (6.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

Scared of the C/R here, But should I be? What hands do you put him on here?

River: (6.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 7.25 BB

Great River card I know.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:56 AM

Default Re: Ace pops against QQ vs TAGish

I think you shud bet the turn. I dont see any reason to fear the check raise the guy could be playing an ace passively fearing you have a good kicker or maybe he could have KJ or KQ. If he'd of called your turn bet then i would just check the river when the king hit, tough one though.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:57 AM

Bet the turn. A jack will likely call and a lower pocket pair (88-TT) might as well (a good TAG probably wouldn't call the flop with these holdings, however). Also, you can easily fold to a raise. He also could have been calling the flop with a gutshot (KQ) and you don't want to give him a free card. By playing this way you have the option of taking a free showdown as well. The only reason I can see for checking behind on the turn is if you plan to fold to any river bet.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:02 AM

must bet the turn. don't pay off a raise. check behind your scare card on the river if you wish.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:21 AM

Yeah you are all right, main reason of posting was because I thought I played it wrong. Chalk it up to overthinking.. So I bet 4th and get Re-Raised wwyd?

I bet 4th, he Calls and then he bets on river.. wwyd?
Old 05-30-2005, 09:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah you are all right, main reason of posting was because I thought I played it wrong. Chalk it up to overthinking.. So I bet 4th and get Re-Raised wwyd?

I bet 4th, he Calls and then he bets on river.. wwyd?

[/ QUOTE ]

If i bet on 4th and get raised i'd let it go personally not usre if thats weak but thats what i'd do. Call on the flop followed by turn checkraise is usually a big hand.

If you bet 4th then he bets the river i'm not sure what i'd do, tough one probably call because he might be trying a bluff and you'd only need to be write 1 in 10? i think for it to be break even. Not sure bout that one though.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:51 PM

First of all you definitely bet the turn, and fold to a raise. If he calls the turn bet and checks the river, you could either check behind him or value bet, depending on if he's the type of player who'd just call you down with an ace (passive idiot). If he calls on the turn and bets the river, i think i'd just pay him off :/ The only hand I could see him having if he did that is KJ, and i dunno about raiseing with that preflop being so likely.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:59 PM

As others have mentioned, something like KQ or KJs loves a free card here on the turn.

Remember in these spots you're not afraid of a check-raise from a legitimate hand so much as you are afraid of some kind of bluff check-raise or a check-raise from a hand against which you have some additional outs. Here a check-raise will almost never be a bluff, and it will almost always mean you're drawing to two outs, so the fact that you may get check-raised shouldn't deter you from betting.