Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2005, 04:46 AM

Default 77 Meets Aggression from a Tight Player

Villian is 7/6/3 after 120 hands. The flop is seemingly good, but I don't know what to do out of position like this.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (5.33 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>

What's my plan now?
Old 05-30-2005, 04:54 AM

Default Re: 77 Meets Aggression from a Tight Player

My line in a situation like this is to stop and go, folding to a turn raise. Ax is probably raising for a free card/free pot, and a higher pocket will raise you again on the turn allowing you to evacuate. You might (rarely) fold a better hand if an overcard falls and you bet the turn - super tight players are sometimes too fit or fold and will believe you called with the ace.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:03 AM

C/call and drag the pot.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:45 AM

Whenever I see the words 'Stop and Go' now I seem to instinctively recoil.

Then I thought about it a bit and I really like it.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:51 AM

Personally, I think this is a hand you need to check call down after the flop raise. I don't necessarily like the stop and go here as an aggressive rock may bluff raise the turn knowing you are a capable player of making a laydown. However, aggressive rocks love to bet and if he is behind with an A with a good kicker, I think you can guarantee he'll bet this turn and possibly the river.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:55 AM

Call the raise, lead a safe turn.

If I am the button I will raise with JJ or Ak in this spot, the only limping hand Id be afraid of is KQ obviously, but I doubt u bet into me with that hand...so I will raise, pretty confident Im not going to be 3-bet. So if u have a lower pp and I raise I will probably get a free turn out of the mix.

And that is why u must lead the turn...folding to a turn raise. Stop and go is the best line here.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:57 AM

Just checked Villians stats, it could be a problem, but I dont think so really...u can either check call down, losing 2bbs. Or u can lead the turn, fold to a raise and lose 1bb (this is of course assuming the next two cards are non-scary and u will call a river bet).
Old 05-30-2005, 08:23 AM

same line if a red king falls on the turn? how about a deuce of clubs on the river?
Old 05-30-2005, 08:30 AM

Approximately nobody raises this flop head up with trip queens. Call down and let him bluff of his chips with his flush draw. And if a flush card hits, well, just keep calling down, because maybe he wasn't on a flush anyway. With stats like that, what could he honestly have? AK of clubs I guess. Yeah, calling down rocks.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:51 AM

I'm not winning at this level yet, so this a question and not a suggestion.

When the action returns to you preflop, you know you're heads up. Would a preflop 3-bet give you enough information about your opponent's hand to be worth it? The thought here is that you want to know whether you are up against a bigger pocket pair or just two over cards. Or will a rock cap with AK enough to make this a waste of money?