Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2005, 04:53 AM

Default Good postflop literature?

Hello, I have been playing small stakes limit hold 'em for a few months now. I have read the small stakes hold 'em book and understand the general concepts.

My preflop game is solid right now, but I think that I have become a calling station and that is why I continue to break even. I seem to have no general idea when I have a hand worth showing down or when I should get rid of it on the turn (when a scare card comes). Of course there are obvious times when you should fold and when you should call/raise, but there is a very large gray area that I have no concept of right now.

So I am looking to improve my postflop game. I think that I never fully learned the basics of solid postflop strategy and am looking for a book that will concentrate on this aspect of the game. I have read enough preflop material to known how to play properly before the flop.

Here is some examples of my problems.

1) I have no clue how to play when it is heads-up when I have a marginal or poor hand. (example- should you call to a showdown with middle pair? bottom pair?

2) Middle pair struggles in general. For example, say that I flop top pair which is a queen. Then the turn comes and it is an ace or a king. There are four opponents. I'm UTG. Do I bet, check, etc? Should I show the hand down anyways? Should I fold?

3) Adjusting the pot odds based on unfavorable coordinated boards. i.e. if I flop bottom pair, I should call if I am getting 8-1. But what if I am facing 6 opponents and the flop paired 6's? Or what if there is a flush or straight draw out there? How does that effect the 8-1? And at what point should I throw my hand away?

Any advice for literature or general answers to the above questions is greatly appreciated. Thank you.