Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2005, 10:09 PM

Default 8/16 at Canterbury

The 20th hour of a 24 hour sessionat CP 8/16. The night started with Schneids, Bicyclekick and myself constantly rebuying until we are all in for at least 10 racks of yellow chips. I easily outplay both of those donks until they leave for the 30/60 game. (BK is the luckiest man alive, by the way.) I have dropped 7 racks (about 80 bets) and have been clawing back, when I get this little gem.

I pick up K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in MP and open raise. Button (passive retard) calls, SB (reasonable post-flop, but I've seen hims show down some turd hands,K5s, etc.; likes to c/r into pf raiser) calls, BB folds.

Flop (3 players) (7SB)
J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Check, I bet, button calls, sb c/r's [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img], I 3-bet, button CC's, SB calls.

Turn: Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
check, I bet, call, call

River: T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB bets, I fold...... [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 05-28-2005, 10:27 PM

Default Re: 8/16 at Canterbury

Very nice hand, folding is clearly correct. I can't put sb on anything that you beat at this point.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Very nice hand, folding is clearly correct. I can't put sb on anything that you beat at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

AJ? AQ?

I think is interesting... You are usually beat here, but some players (myself included) will often bet/fold a hand on the river that are planning to call a bet with, to add a little fold equity to their hand. This is an excellent play against tight opponents who pride themselves on making smart folds, as you did here. (EDIT: And note that this is a particularly good spot for this move, as the river is a scare card)

I don't know if SB thinks enough to make this play here (you'd need to rely on your read), but I'm just pointing it out as something to be aware of.

gm
Old 05-28-2005, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

AJ? AQ?

I think is interesting... You are usually beat here, but some players (myself included) will often bet/fold a hand on the river that are planning to call a bet with, to add a little fold equity to their hand. This is an excellent play against tight opponents who pride themselves on making smart folds, as you did here. (EDIT: And note that this is a particularly good spot for this move, as the river is a scare card)

I don't know if SB thinks enough to make this play here (you'd need to rely on your read), but I'm just pointing it out as something to be aware of.

gm

[/ QUOTE ]

You make an excellent point, but there is another opponent yet to act...it seems highly unlikely neither of them has an overpair beat on this board, but you never know.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You make an excellent point, but there is another opponent yet to act...it seems highly unlikely neither of them has an overpair beat on this board, but you never know.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are getting 12:1, and it's not clear to me at all that it's that unlikely. The other guy could easily be chasing a flush draw, eg. Yes, you are usually behind here, but you don't have to be ahead very often for a call to be correct.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You are getting 12:1, and it's not clear to me at all that it's that unlikely. The other guy could easily be chasing a flush draw, eg. Yes, you are usually behind here, but you don't have to be ahead very often for a call to be correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this.

Liam
Old 05-29-2005, 03:55 AM

i really really hate this fold. most of the time i like how you play bob, but i really think you blew it here. calling here seems beyond standard imo.
Old 05-29-2005, 04:28 AM

I don't like this fold. You may be beat, but I believe calling this river is standard.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

AJ? AQ?

gm

[/ QUOTE ]

You bring up some excellent points. There is indeed a small range of hands that sb will have that I beat. After playing more with him, I think it is possible that he is clever enough to donk-bet a river scare card. The button still to act caused a bit of a problem, but not much of one IMO. I figured he was on a busted heart draw. I'm still not sure how feel about this laydown.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:53 PM

Your getting 12-1, although you might not win this one out of 13 times, you probably will sleep better if you call this down. When you add that in, I think you will win often enough so that this is a call.

On the other hand, most players at CP are terrible at value betting on the river, so if he made a straight, he wouldn't usually be able to checkraise, so he might have bet out, rather than risk the ckeckraise.

I would call him, and say 'nice hand' when he turns over either J9, or QJ.