Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2005, 08:49 AM

Default Turn SemiBluff.... they say it was a bad play

A hand from last night. No reads and no data about the player in question. 2 of my friends say i played it terrible but somehow i still like my play (maybe the reason i like it is that i won ?) .

Party Poker 30/60 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls.

River: (9.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 11.75 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
MP2 has Ac 7c (two pair, aces and sevens).
Hero has Tc Td (straight, jack high).
Outcome: Hero wins 11.75 BB. </font>
Old 05-28-2005, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Turn SemiBluff.... they say it was a bad play

A common mistake of players that know about the semi-bluff is overusing it or using it in cases where there is little chance of the bluff actually working.

In this case you may have 6, 4 or 0 outs depending on what your opponent holds. You are risking 2 big bets to win 8 big bets. The extra bet or two you made when your opponent called and you made your draw can not be counted on since you could have still made your hand and lost. With your possible outs the bluff component of the play needs to work about 15% of the time for the semi bluff to break even.

Given that you have no read on your opponent, nor him on you, I think that your chances of the bluff working considering the pre-flop and post flop action to be less than 2%. Very few players that check raise the flop with a player that 3-bet pre-flop will lay down on the turn for one more bet. Almost anything they could possibly have would compell them to call for the 10:1 pot odds.

You would have been better off to fold after being check raised on the flop or to three bet and then check the rest of the way.