Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2005, 10:22 PM

Default Too Agressive?? With Top two pair

I was playing my regular game. $4-8. Villain had just come from $10-20, claiming to have lost some $1500. But who really knows any way, he was just alround loose, and didn't seem tricky. Was my line right?

$4-8 B&M 9 handed
Hero is UTG with K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero raises, UTG2 calls, 2 folds, MP3 calls, 3 folds, BB calls [if I come in, I like to raise from UTG]

Flop 8SB (4 players) T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero bets, 1 fold, MP3 calls, 1 fold [I'll bet top pair from UTG]

Turn 5BB (2 players) J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero bets, MP3 calls [I'm not stopping betting]

River 7BB (2 players) K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero checks, MP3 bets, Hero raises, MP3 3-bets, Hero calls
[yeah I went for the checkraise...]

Final pot 13BB

I s this too crzy should I check call gutshot straight draws at $4-8 or am I right to be this aggressive? Comments at all stages of play are also welcome.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:25 PM

Default Re: Too Agressive?? With Top two pair

Preflop - Standard.

Flop - Standard.

[ QUOTE ]
[I'll bet top pair from UTG]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope so.

Turn - Standard.

River - Retardo. Going for a check-raise here is silly, really it's pretty bad. Just bet out and either call a raise or fold.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:32 PM

Bet-fold the river. This game (as many B&Ms are) seems like it might be an "any ace" game, or at least have several "any ace" players, judging by the number of cold callers you got preflop. Even in a regular game, you could easily put this guy on a hand like ATs. Most players will be too scared by a bet to bluff you since you were preflop raiser. A raise clearly indicates straight, otherwise you collect your value bet. This river play was way out of line (did you think he was folding the nuts???)
Old 05-27-2005, 12:12 AM

What's so wrong with check-calling the river? I might even check/fold. Any 9 or A beats you, and what are the chances your opponent doesn't have either?
Old 05-27-2005, 12:33 AM

wow, you really overplayed that river. Everything looked good up to that point. I'm bet/folding the river there
Old 05-27-2005, 01:57 AM

Well thanks guys. The only reason I did the whole checkraise thing was the fact I didn't think he would carry a gutshot for that long. I'd put him on middle pair or something else crap, since he played every hand. But clearly I'm wrong as this is the second time I've made this mistake this week. Top two pair vs the nut flush. Damn, time to plug this leak.

JT [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2005, 01:59 AM

I'd say check/call or maybe bet/call if he's a real maniac. The thing that makes a broadway 4-straight different is that he could easily have had A-10 or something and just hung around. If it was say, a straight to the 9, it's much less likely he was hanging around with something like 9-6. But the way it sounded, you were most likely beaten, by either his extremely stupid play, or his mildly stupid play.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:13 AM

Hi JacksonTens,

Everything looks fine until the river where you manged to make three mistakes on one street, which is pretty hard to do.

Sorry to be blunt.
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Kailia
Old 05-27-2005, 06:51 AM

I'm pretty new to 2+2 so forgive me if this is out of line. I'm currently working hard on reading my hand histories and improving my river play. My first inclination when reading this hand was to check/call the river:

#1)If I bet, I won't be called by a worse hand and will be raised by a better hand.

#2)By check/calling I could possibly induce a bluff from a worse hand (by a player who sounds like a bit of a gambler). At worst I get to see a showdown, costing me the same bet as in option #1.

Am I thinking this through right? Could someone tell me why I should consider a bet/fold approach?

Thanks
Old 05-27-2005, 07:18 AM

barring the other two players flipping over their hands and showing complete bluffs before the action gets to you, that river call is completely inexcusable.