Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2005, 10:00 PM

Default another BR question.....

The recommended BR for a particular limit is said to be about 300 bb. I have a br of about that for 5/10 but am not sure i could beat that game. I beat 2/4 for about 2.5 bb/100. I believe that 300 number is for sommeone that is sure tha t they are a winning player. I s this true? Should i maybe get a bigger roll before moving to 5/10? And im talking about the 6max game.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:04 PM

Default Re: another BR question.....

Short handed games generally have higher variance, and though I haven't played it myself, I've heard seen lots of respectable posters recommending a larger 5/10 6-max bankroll to accomadate. Have you considered playing 3/6 full, or shorthanded at another site that offers limits you might be more certain of beating?
Old 05-26-2005, 10:07 PM

okay, instead of my usual sarcastic-type reply to this genre of posts, I'll actually be sincere:

* Have you tried 3/6? If not, that should be your next step? It's a tougher game than 2/4. Although it may not be as profitable as 5/10 SH, it's still a necessary stepping-stone to develop your game, imo.

* Since you have over $3000, you've got more than enough to play 3/6 and 2/4. If you're really curious about 5/10, why not take a shot with a buyin or two ($250-$500)? If you feel you're getting trampled, drop back down.

* Finally, is anything anyone says here really gonna stop you from 'taking a shot' at 5/10?

Adam
Old 05-26-2005, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Short handed games generally have higher variance, and though I haven't played it myself, I've heard seen lots of respectable posters recommending a larger 5/10 6-max bankroll to accomadate. Have you considered playing 3/6 full, or shorthanded at another site that offers limits you might be more certain of beating?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's something I forgot to mention... a 500 BB roll is recommended for the SH games.

But again, that doesn't mean you can't take a shot at it, if you only have 300 BB.

Adam
Old 05-26-2005, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But again, that doesn't mean you can't take a shot at it, if you only have 300 BB.

Adam

[/ QUOTE ]

Just as long as you know when to quit.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:20 PM

thanks for not going the sarcastic route. i have played bout 1000 hands at 5/10 and was up like 350 then yesterday i lost about 500 bucks in about three hours. Though i dont feel like i played that badly. I just started playing 3/6 too. I t definately seems tougher tha n 2/4 but i eventuallly want to play like 10/20 and 15/30 so i should obviously be able to beat 3/6. to move up to these other limits. I just cant take any kind of unneccessary risk with my roll.
thanks for the responses
Old 05-27-2005, 12:12 AM

A quote I like to remember. "Your BR grows a lot faster than your skill" So just because you're rolled for 5/10 doesn't mean you can beat it. Its best to put your time into 3/6 and worry about improving.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:49 AM

300BB isnt near enough for 5-10sh. Wait until AT least 500BB