Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2005, 08:01 PM

Default T9s in the BB - proper use of the CR?

UTG appears to be TAG, otherwise table is unexceptional.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (7.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>...

My line on seeing the flop:

* Don't want to bet middle pair into a large field. Will call a single bet back to me and likely fold to two unless the pot becomes ginormous.
* If first bet comes from late position, plan is to CR to try and thin the field.
* In both cases, re-evaluate on the turn.

Is my logic sound?
Old 05-26-2005, 08:03 PM

Default Re: T9s in the BB - proper use of the CR?

Looks pretty standard to me...
Old 05-26-2005, 08:05 PM

I'm tempted to fold here.

The pot is unraised, there's 7 people, and theres tons of cards that I don't want to see on the turn and river.

In addition, the board is fairly draw heavy, so the chance you actually knock a significant amount of people out is pretty low.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm tempted to fold here.

The pot is unraised, there's 7 people, and theres tons of cards that I don't want to see on the turn and river.

In addition, the board is fairly draw heavy, so the chance you actually knock a significant amount of people out is pretty low.

[/ QUOTE ]

fold? really? fold 1 bet from Button and no one else is showing any aggression? draw heavy- yes, but you have part of all those draws too, plus you have a solid piece of the board. if everyone calls the single bet from button, you're getting ~14-1 (i think i counted that right).

i guess my question at this point is whether to call or raise? i'd raise since we already have a solid piece and draw at the board and by facing the field to cold call, you may clean up some outs.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:41 PM

The theory sounds good.

Only question I would be asking is, who exactly is going to be driven out by the raise? The field is getting 8:1 if you call and 5:1 if you raise.

That means the flush and straight draws are probably staying in anyway; the gutshots, underpairs, and aces with unpaired kickers should be folding to one bet. I guess your targets are people with fives and nines with high kickers. Do you think removing those few draws is worth the price of an extra bet, when your own hand has quite a small chance to win unimproved?

At a micro table there are probably enough people ignoring odds that you may be gaining enough $$ from incorrect calls to justify it.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:42 PM

I like it. I would not want to be betting this into that large field, but the pot is big. So, you get the perfect opportunity to protect your hand. Note, if there were a better and several limpers, you have pretty easy call.

Nak
Old 05-26-2005, 10:26 PM

I like it, and yes your logic is sound. It's pretty tough at .5/1 though, as the players there don't really have much of a problem calling two cold with any piece of the board. If you see a lot of people call, think hard before leading the turn (depending on what the turn is of course).
Old 05-26-2005, 10:43 PM

if the bet was from early position i'd check/call and see what the turn brings.

as it is, i still may check/call because .50/1 players are still going to call 2 for a flush draw, gutshot, overcards, etc. they sucks. are you trying to free up your jack out or something? i dont get a raise here. You're scared of everything but 2-6 not diamonds. This hand sucks (not the way you played it, the way it flopped).