Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2005, 07:53 PM

Default Dumb Question

Hey guys,

I'm a fairly competent 3/6 B&M player in Ohio. I've just started reading the 2+2 books (SSHE, Advanced HE, Psych of Poker) in the last 2 weeks and I'm up about $600 over 4 sessions. Can you explain what you mean by winrates?

thx,

Bro T
Old 05-26-2005, 08:12 PM

Default Re: Dumb Question

Win rates: how many big bets you win over a certain amount of time or hands. For B&M it's measured in BB/hour, and 1 or above is the desired amount. Online its BB/100 hands, not sure what a good count is there though.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:14 PM

It's pointless to talk about how much money you're winning in raw dollars/euros. If Player A plays 1000/2000 for 100 hours per week and makes a profit of $1000 every week, and Player B plays 1/2 for 25 hrs/wk and make $500, who is doing better?

So we talk in terms of big bets won or lost (many blackjack players speak in terms of units won or lost). A big bet is simply the amount of the bet on the last two streets. It's a way for people playing different limits, or for different amounts of time to make more useful comparisons.

In the above example, Player A is making $1000, which is .5BB. But he's playing 100 hrs per week, so his winrate is .005BB/hr. Player B makes $500, which is 250BB. Divided by 25 hrs equals 10BB/hr.

A wrinkle is thrown in the works when we look at online players. If I'm making 3BB/hr and you're making 2BB/hr, one might conclude that I'm the better player. But if I'm playing 10 tables at a time and you're only playing one, then things change. Therefore, when talking about online play we convert to BB/100 hands. Sometimes we attempt to guestimate a BB/100 for live play based on 30-35 hands per hour so we can compare our B&M play to online play.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:03 AM

Thanks guys,

That's pretty much what I thought. Just wanted to confirm. I've always been an LPP who could pick his spots and come out a winner usually (over the short time). Thru 2+2 I'm becoming more selective and more agressive and my results are pretty good. My live 3/6 game is not that tough to bust, all the good players play 10/20. Thanks for all the commentary. I'm trying to be a sponge and soak up all of your knowledge.

BT