Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2005, 04:45 PM

Default The opposite of tilt

Every book, every DVD, and every website giving advice about poker talks about going on tilt. Everyone talks about the dangers of playing badly after loosing a hand or making a mistake.

I sometimes have a similar but opposite problem in that I play badly after winning a big hand or making a killer read. I feel invulnerable. I feel I can do no wrong, so I play looser, over-value my cards and end up handing back those winnings.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I deal with it much the same as going on tilt. Just recognizing that it happens and conciously working to stop it and taking a small break from the action if need be have really helped.

Just tought I'd ask as tilt seems to be universal, while the opposite of tilt seems much more rare.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:59 PM

Default Re: The opposite of tilt

no, if i have just doubled up in cash games, i am usually very tight, and tenacious of the money i have just won, and afraid to lose it.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:06 PM

I call it "winner tilt," and yeah, I've both done it and observed it.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:25 PM

Inflated confidence is still tilt, unless you play like that all the time. In that case, it's not tilt. You're merely a bad player. (Not saying you actually are.)
Old 05-26-2005, 07:15 PM

Yeah. I think it's just a matter of labeling. I call this tilt.

I consider tilt to be making any play in a way that is inferior to the way I would play it if I played to the best of my ability.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:57 PM

I find that a lot of times this happens to me if I am playing short handed. As soon as the table starts to fill up I find that I have a hard time playing tighter to the full table. Usually it is because I find it easy to go up 10-20BB shorthanded and I want to keep it rolling.

I usually tend to drop back to even before it sinks in that i need to tighten up.,

Greg
Old 05-27-2005, 07:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I play badly after winning a big hand or making a killer read. I feel invulnerable. I feel I can do no wrong, so I play looser, over-value my cards and end up handing back those winnings.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the table also tends to be a little wary of you after a big win, especially if you played it particularly well, and that feeds into the cycle for a hand or two.

I get a touch of this too, it's not so pronounced, but after a big win, I'll happily play the next hand much looser pre-flop - I usually regret it straight after putting the bet on though and then get straight back to normal.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:20 PM

Blaze, this is the kind of discipline my rookie a** needs to learn. Doyle's philosophy is when he win's one, regardless of his hole card's, he is right back in the very next pot. This has cost me some $$ and unfortunately doesn't work for me unless I get AA dealt back to back (saw someone today get that). So I agree that tightening up is right. Still learning though.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:06 PM

The definition of tilt is making any play that you know is wrong due to emotion. This can mean frustration (running bad) or giddiness (running well.)
Old 05-27-2005, 08:06 PM

The opposite of Tilt is "In the Zone", which I always dwell in!

I wish.