Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you make this call?
Yes 37 84.09%
No 7 15.91%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-26-2005, 01:24 PM

Default 33 flops a set - best way to build a pot

Opponents are all unknowns, just sat down.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG calls, 4 folds, MP3 calls, Hero calls, <font color="red">Button raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP3 checks, Hero checks, <font color="red">Button bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, MP3 calls, Hero ?

Sorry if this is fairly rudimentary ...

I am currently having a discussion about the best line to take (and I'm pretty convinced I've got the right answer [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ), so I'd appreciate hearing rationale behind preferences here. Thanks.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:29 PM

Default Re: 33 flops a set - best way to build a pot

I'd raise here. I think even if we're three bet several players will come along, the pot is now large, so i don't mind seeing some drop.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:29 PM

Not raising this flop would be ridiculous. There's a million reason for not calling this bet:

- if Button bet overs he will take a free card on the turn.
- the bet might come from a worse realtive position on the turn.
- even if button bets the turn, we can't be sure we'll be able to trap as many players as we have oppurtunity to do on the flop.
- we're more likely to get 3-betted by an overpair if we raise the flop. We love getting 3-betted since we'll be able to trap several players for 4 bets.

The question is if we can count on Button betting this flop against 5 players with overs. I'm inclined to bet it myself.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:33 PM

This is soooo standard a flop check-raise. No real need for protection, you're check-raising the entire field, check-raising the turn is setting yourself up for a whiff or having most of the field fold to the bettor's bet before it gets back to you. Just get the money in now when they'll call drawing nearly dead.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is soooo standard a flop check-raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
Readless I'm betting. I want more opinions on this.

Actually i believe this is an easy flop bet. If I was Button I would take a free look at the turn with more than 50% of my possible holdings (rough estimation). That would really stink. Even if we get raised by button we are likely to get cold callers since the pot is big and we'll be able to 3-bet.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:40 PM

Sorry I didn't include the option to lead the flop in the poll. With a preflop raiser, I just assumed the correct line would be to allow to him to continue betting out on the flop. The large majority of the time, a PF raiser will make a continuation bet, although your point is well taken that without reads you can't be sure ...
Old 05-26-2005, 01:42 PM

Raise it. The pot is plenty big and it will get bigger on its own. Don't let any bozos catch a gutshot or a running flush.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:43 PM

Oh I thought he meant he wanted a line once he checked, villain bet, and everyone called. If we're planning the line from the start, I think it is a lot closer. Only villain left to act, and he is the PFR, but against this large a field he'll probably check most of his missed overs (or even something like TT if he's a weak-tight bastahd). So I think betting may well be preferrable given that, since him raising and maybe shutting out the field sucks, but having the flop checked through is much, much worse.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh I thought he meant he wanted a line once he checked, villain bet, and everyone called.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you're right about that. I just suggested a line I think is better.

[ QUOTE ]
since him raising and maybe shutting out the field sucks, but having the flop checked through is much, much worse.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yup, and the pot is big enough to expect cold callers.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:46 PM

There is an similar example to this hand in SSH, pg 127-128. A set of 3's with a flop of K83 rainbow...fwiw