Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2005, 10:54 AM

Default Need help at poker..

This post might sound pathetic, but I'm close to quitting poker because I just can't win. I've read like 8 books on hold'em, played a ton of hands. 6 months of breathing poker and I can't even win at 2/4 limit. What does it take to be a winner??? It's really frustrating. I feel like I know every concept on poker yet I'm just not good. I know I've only played for 6 months but if I keep playing I can't guarantee myself that I'll be a winner in 2 years. Experience can't be everything... What am I missing?? If the best advice is "Give up" , yea I'm ready for that.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Need help at poker..

Where are you playing? If you're on PartyPoker, drop down to .50/1 instead of 2/4 ... it's much easier, and therefore a better place to start if you're unsure about your ability.

Also: post hands in the forums. Post ones you think you played well, and ones that you're unsure about. Feedback on your play will go a long way towards helping you to plug leaks.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:08 AM

keep playing. you are the kind of person who makes the rest of us money.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's something about brutal honesty which can be quite humorous.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt this guy is a winning player either. But, nice comment nevertheless.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:32 PM

Takes time man. I consistantly lost at all forms of poker for well over a year. I would have a win or two maybe even a streak but not enough eventually i would lose it all back. If you are serious keep playing. Its funny now that i am winning consistantly i see all the mistakes i used to make when i lost. What i would a lot of times complain about was just a mistake i made. Keep at it, 6 months is too short. Maybe move down to 1-2 or lower til u get it. Best advice i can give you is patience. Thats the biggest thing, be patient at the card table sometimes at low stakes u play too many hands i mean tight like a rock. Eventually ull get opp to loosen up . Good luck
Old 05-26-2005, 01:04 PM

#1) drop down in limits - it really is much easier - you may see this as rather humiliating but at this point you need to get some consistant winning sessions under your belt.
#2) try out other sites - you can play at even lower limits (than .5/1) and sometimes the change of scenery can be a good thing.
#3) don't give up playing solid poker- sounds like your confidence is very low and that can be death to your bankroll b/c it tends to make one play weak/tight or carelessly chip-spew.
#4) read posted hands and post some of your own - the wealth of knowledge of the more experienced posters and their constructive critique is golden.

Good Luck!
Old 05-26-2005, 01:13 PM

I have only been playing for about 4 months. My fist 2 months I was losing consistantly. I got Poker Tracker and the feedback from that helped me to alter my game - for the better I hope. My play was waaay too loose (playing too many hands) and way too passive, and I was calling too much on later streets. Typical beginner play I guess. For the last couple months Ive been averaging about 2BB/100 hands in 2/4 on Party - not anything to write home about but respectable for a beginner.

Poker Tracker is just $55 and is really well worth it.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:33 PM

Some good points have already been made which I’m sure will help you. Though you have been playing 3 times longer them me I do have a few suggestions.

First, take a break. 3 day, 5 days, a week, some space of time where you keep your self totally away from poker so you can “re-charge your batteries”. This can be applied to most things in life, where you take a short break and when you come back you have a fresher perspective and outlook of what you are doing.

Second, mix it up. You didn’t say if you were playing on-line or brick and mortar but I’m assuming since you stated 2/4 limit your playing live since that is the smallest live game I’ve seen. Play in different places, with different players, and what helps me most, play different games. I started throwing in tourneys, on line and B&M and find the difference in style and thinking helps me improve all around.

Lastly, narrow down to two or three books that you think are most beneficial to your level and game and re-read them, then re-read them again till you think you are playing optimally with the strategy they preach.

I’m assuming your being honest with yourself on your playing and how you analyze both your wins and loses. Good luck! With as much work as you have already put in, quitting would be like folding a good drawing hand when the odds are starting to look favorable.
[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2005, 10:12 PM

I'm guessing you're playing online, if so I'd recommend a try at B&M play if possible, or even a regular home game. Live play gives you a lot more time to think about hands and improve your intuition, both while you're in them and watching the play of others.