Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2002, 03:58 PM

Default 5 bets on the flop, what do you put him on?

Live 10/20 game. I am in the SB with As Ah. A late position player who is usually very aggressive limps in. The BB will defend anything and I raise. They both call.

Flop Ac Ts 7c.

I debate slow playing but decide to bet. BB folds but the LP raises me. Again I think about smooth calling, but because of my position I think I have to bet the turn anyway, so I 3 bet him. He 4 bets. Because we are heads up we can go as high as we want. With the absolute nuts for now, I 5 bet. Finally he just calls.

Turn [Ac Ts 7c] 3d.

I bet and he calls.

River [Ac Ts 7c 3d] 5c.

[img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] .

What do you put him on and do you bet the river?
Old 12-13-2002, 04:01 PM

Default Results

I thought for a minute and decided he wasn't on a flush draw. I put him on a smaller set or AT and decided he would call my river bet.

He raised me and I made a crying call. he had Qc 8c.

When he made it 4 bets on the flop heads up I figured he wasn't pumping a flush. Oops.
Old 12-13-2002, 04:43 PM

Default Re: 5 bets on the flop, what do you put him on?

I bet the river. In your position I'd put him on TT most likely, however, since you posted this, I'll go with 8c9c.
Old 12-13-2002, 05:17 PM

When most people pound the pot on the flop in a preflop steal type of situation one of the following is the case (in order of likeliehood, IMO):

1. Big draw
2. Pair, good draw
3. Top pair, good kicker (though many wait for the turn)
4. 2-pair/set (not likely, since people wait for the turn, also)

Since you have AA, it's very unlikely that he has top pair. Also, since the A is suited on the board, he can't have overcard/flush draw hands (group this in #1). Plus, he didn't raise first in here from LP on a steal, and you say he's aggressive.

I think he's gonna show you a hand like 8c9c or some other nice flush draw, possibly with str8 draws, too. Every time.

Still, betting the river is probably still right, since you have top set, and maybe you don't want to be known as a passive player (though I think that this is a great image to have). Obviously, call a raise when he pops it.
Old 12-13-2002, 05:18 PM

What could he have that he didn't reraise with pre-flop. I don't think he goes to 5 bets on a draw, so I'll say 77.

I say bet out and call a raise.

Old 12-13-2002, 05:33 PM

I would have put him on a set also, but 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] is a
possibility also. I'm a river bettor also, but it's close.

I would like to play against this opponent in the long run, if he likes going to war with Q [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] .
Old 12-13-2002, 05:49 PM

Hell, I am all for river value betting and would probably bet the AA here. But on reflection, this is a spot to perhaps check. This is partly because if he has TT, he will probably bet it for you after you check. I mean, one of the reasons given for betting AA is to not appear wimpy just because the flush card got here. By the same token, the guy with TT would feel compelled to bet even though the flush card got there given that you have checked the river.

Old 12-13-2002, 07:09 PM

Agreed. Checking and calling looks best here since his flop play narrows down his hands to a set or a big draw. You should get your 1 bet out of him on the river if he has a set by the check and call.

In addition the 9c8c people have already suggested, it's also possible he has KcQc, KcJc, QcJc or Tcxc even though you would expect him to raise with the first frew hands.

Old 12-13-2002, 07:51 PM

When I posted I thought the river bet was close, but thought I'd probably fire it out. After reading your post, though, since a 77 or TT who is that aggressive on the flop will most likely bet the river if you check, checking the river seems smarter. It also avoids having that nasty raise staring at you.
Old 12-14-2002, 01:56 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
even though you would expect him to raise with the first frew hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, you would expect an aggressive player in late position to raise TT and 77 too.