Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 04:41 AM

Default set in massive pot

Like or dislike? (the fish are out tonight! get 'em while they're fresh!)

-Eric

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (14 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls $11.50 (All-In), MP2 calls, MP3 calls, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

River: (20.16 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 23.16 BB
Old 05-25-2005, 04:48 AM

Default Re: set in massive pot

I wouldn't raise 77 from the big blind against 6 limpers but it is a question of playing style and implied odds if you hit.

The rest looks fine.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't raise 77 from the big blind aginst 6 limpers

The rest looks fine.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-25-2005, 04:59 AM

Please correct me if I'm wrong because I still trying to master pot equity and am weak on math. But in order to value raise here don't we only need our equity to be somewhere over 17%. Since no one raised the 77 must have more than that.

I'm just putting it out there, and I hope I not wrong by much because I've been playing according to that line of reasoning.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:01 AM

A lot of players think AK is a drawing hand. This answers your question. Do you see why?
Old 05-25-2005, 05:06 AM

I don't know if he sees why, but I want to know the answer.

Liam

Ps - Please.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:07 AM

With good speculative hands like 77 or QJs and a ton of limpers in ahead of me, I tend to raise for value. I'm not expecting 77 to hold up ever here unimproved, but getting more money into an unraised pot with 5+ limpers with 77 here seems to me +EV.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:09 AM

Hero's position favors largely into my comment. If you have AJ, KQ, and AK limping in there, there's not a whole lot of value to raising 77 OOP. I suck at math, but I think I'm more or less right. Plenty of posters are good at math, i invite them to flame me if I am way off.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:10 AM

I *think* there's a significant difference between 77 and QJs here. As stated above, I could be way wrong.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I *think* there's a significant difference between 77 and QJs here. As stated above, I could be way wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that there is a difference. Not that my agreement means anything to anyone. Bear with me, this has nothing to do with math, which incidentally, is part of my 'axis of evil'. When I consider playing a small pocket pair before the flop, I consider not only what will happen when I flop my set, but what will happen when I do not. In the majority of cases, I think 77 can be folded on the (esp. 6-handed) flop after not catching a 3rd 7, and therefore I would rather see the flop for one bet, not pay two (voluntarily or otherwise). There are deceptive qualities to your pre-flop play that I like, but generally 77 is a check from the BB with 6 limpers. (I raise QJs in this case) Obviously the rest is great. My 2Cents.

Liam