Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2005, 03:46 PM

Default Flopped 10 high flush

5/10 no limit live game at The Grand in Biloxi. I am sitting with about 4k and have the table covered(Except Fsuplayer, who is on my right but not in this hand). I limp in late position with 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] then call a small raise from the small blind.
Flop: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Small blind leads out for $75. UTG(3k)is a young, rich guy who brags about playing 10/20 and 50/100 no limit at The Wynn in Las Vegas makes it $200 straight. He's very flashy and loves to bet big.

I think and call. Small blind folds.

Turn is a A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] . UTG bets $500, then tells me I can pick one of his cards to look at. I point to the one on the right and its the 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

I call.

River pairs the board. He bets $500 again. I instantly push all in. Thoughts?
Old 05-24-2005, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Flopped 10 high flush

interesting play. what kind of hand do you put him on? 9 high flush?
Old 05-24-2005, 04:09 PM

Must be awesome to play with people who voluntarily give you free info DURING the hand. Lol.

Do you think he'd lay down a higher flush once the board pairs? Would he call with a lower flush?

There are so many pyschological levels here considering that he knows you know one of his cards (ie - he knows you know he doesn't have a boat). I'd rather not think about this right now.

I think I would have just called though...that's my instinct....
Old 05-24-2005, 04:33 PM

I already told you this in biloxi, but i think that this is a great time for a turn min/small raise. It will get you a free showdown unless he has the nut flush, and it prevents a worse hand from making you fold on the river.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I already told you this in biloxi, but i think that this is a great time for a turn min/small raise. It will get you a free showdown unless he has the nut flush, and it prevents a worse hand from making you fold on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
I like the way you think.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:46 PM

Completely agree with FSU about the turn minraise, a friend used it yesterday to laydown a Jack high flush when he was reraised all in. I think this play is completely dependent on whether or not you think he lays down the ace high flush thinking you have a set. It looks like a set rivered boat, but again, some players can't lay down.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
5/10 no limit live game at The Grand in Biloxi. I am sitting with about 4k and have the table covered(Except Fsuplayer, who is on my right but not in this hand). I limp in late position with 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] then call a small raise from the small blind.
Flop: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Small blind leads out for $75. UTG(3k)is a young, rich guy who brags about playing 10/20 and 50/100 no limit at The Wynn in Las Vegas makes it $200 straight. He's very flashy and loves to bet big.

I think and call. Small blind folds.

Turn is a A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] . UTG bets $500, then tells me I can pick one of his cards to look at. I point to the one on the right and its the 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

I call.

River pairs the board. He bets $500 again. I instantly push all in. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Nole.

This is an interesting hand.

I think you're probably in trouble if this hand goes to showdown; I'd say his hand range that limps UTG and includes the 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] would be 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], and 99. Of these six hands, you're ahead of two (granted, most players wouldn't even limp most of these hands UTG, but this guy sounds like the type who would).

Given that, I like the suggestion that fsu and AZK gave you in terms of making a small raise on the turn to force villain to define his hand. If he reraises, you fold. If he calls and bets the river, you fold. If he calls and checks river, check behind.

That said, I really like your river play (where'd you learn that from, anyway? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]). His $500 bet on the turn is strong, but his bet of the same size on the river is really weak, imo. It says "blocking bet" all over it to me.

Now whether it worked or not is another matter entirely. Villain's getting about 2:1 on his call, if I'm not mistaken, but it's not an easy call for him to make, as your line is pretty consistent w/ a flopped set, and he knows that you know that he has a flush. Since he is a young, rich hotshot, I wouldn't be at all surprised with a call, but I think it comes down to your table image at the time. If he sees you as tight, his hand goes in the muck. If he's seen you make a move or two, then he probably calls.

Good post dude.

-neon.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:30 PM

Based on your description, I think this might be the wrong opp. against whom to try this move. But I still like it.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:26 PM

Well, you know he can't have a full house.

I like.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:43 PM

No1 like a flop raise here? With a flopped low flush, I like playing it real fast, kill the odds for some1 with the Ace. I like a turn raise here after you see his card. I LOVE the river move, he pretty much has to muck anything but Ace or maaaybbbee K high flush.
All in all
I would :-
raise flop
raise turn
push river when the 4th diamond did'nt show.