Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2005, 11:42 AM

Default Folded around to you in the SB

Hero is SB.

Villain is BB with 33/9 stats. I don't have much other read than that which makes this hand difficult to play well.

Folded to SB holding Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and raises. BB calls.

Flop 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. <font color="blue">Nice flop! </font> SB bets, BB calls.

Turn: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. <font color="blue">Pretty good card for me. </font> SB bets, BB raises <font color="blue"> hmmmm </font> SB calls <font color="blue">pretty sure not raising is a big mistake </font>

River: 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB checks, BB bets, SB calls

When it is folded around to you in the SB, what range of hands are you raising against the BB? Are you ever just completing? Are you almost always raising? Is this a Game Theory thing? I guess this is all read dependent but I'd like to know some thoughts that can help me to develop some general rules to follow.

Conversely, if you are in the BB and the SB has an "always raise" strategy for when it is folded around to him, what is your defense strategy?
Old 05-24-2005, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Folded around to you in the SB

[ QUOTE ]
Are you ever just completing?

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, open-completing the SB is asking to get raised - and you immediately lose control of the hand.

Adam
Old 05-24-2005, 12:49 PM

in this case I often open limp-reraise
Old 05-24-2005, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in this case I often open limp-reraise

[/ QUOTE ]
¿Por qué?
Old 05-24-2005, 12:54 PM

he presses call then he presses raise.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he presses call then he presses raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, I'll try that next time [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2005, 01:06 PM

fine, u can be that way [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] but he is right (assuming he was serious). 33/9s can be moved off a lot of hands, generally speaking, and off-beat plays like this when used in moderation and at the right times really do wonders for your game. do you not ever just decide I'm gonna bluff this guy? [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

its headsup and moves like this are fun and rewarding and a nice way to really learn how to play and think, not ust play like a robot. and it generally works out well for you when you even when you fall on your face trying it, but not if you refuse to open up your mind and your game [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2005, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fine, u can be that way [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] but he is right (assuming he was serious). 33/9s can be moved off a lot of hands, generally speaking, and off-beat plays like this when used in moderation and at the right times really do wonders for your game. do you not ever just decide I'm gonna bluff this guy? [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

its headsup and moves like this are fun and rewarding and a nice way to really learn how to play and think, not ust play like a robot. and it generally works out well for you when you even when you fall on your face trying it, but not if you refuse to open up your mind and your game [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Just to point out, I wasn't sarcastic anywhere in my posts. Por qué means why and I was wondering what's the benefits of this play (maybe I should try to start use english instead). The " [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] " I use to make myself look silly, but since people seem to take offense when I use it I guess i'm misusing it and should stop.

Anyhow, I can se benefits of this play when BB autoraises when I limp, and many do.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:25 PM

sorry, I thought you were " [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]" me, not yourself.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:29 PM

I think Im going to try this. I very rarely like to limp-reraise w/out a strong hand, but in blind vs. blind situations against certain aggressive but not crazy, thinking opponents, I can see how this will give you firm control on the hand postflop (largely mitigating your positional disadvantage).