Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2005, 09:16 AM

Default too big pot for QQ

Prima 2-4 6max. I and Villain have been sitting at the table for a while, I have a fair amount of respect of his game and I think itīs mutural. I had been continuation betting almost everytime heads up and been taking down lots of pots uncontested.

he has around 450 and i have around 800

Folded to me in the CO, I open for my standard raise when no limpers 3xbb. Button folds SB calls BB folds.

flop (28$) 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] j [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

He checks, I bet 22, He raises to 55, I call

turn (138$) 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] He checks i bet 90 He minraises to 180, i fold.

thoughts on flop and turn play?
Old 05-24-2005, 10:41 AM

Default Re: too big pot for QQ

I don't like the bet on the turn, and to be honest, I can't figure out why. Im gonna talk my way through this and people can give analysis as tehy see fit.
He checkraised the flop so he was either testing you with a draw (k10 maybe? suited spades?) to see if you have a pair or not. He may have a jack or and 8 here to make that play. I might reraise here, but I don't mind the call.
I hate the turn bet though. It seems too much of an investment to see what he has, and yet it is small enough to allow for him to make a move. I might go ahead and bet 30-40 here, because at that point I think an underbet will gain the same info at a cheeper cost. If he raises, I can fold safely most of the time, but if he hasn't improved, then he might just call here with a draw because the pot hasn't gotten that much bigger. and if he is on a draw a smaller bet might make him think he is drawing dead and you are trapping him with JJ, and he just might fold (maybe 5% of the time).
Now I don't mind giving a free card here. Either we are drawing really short, or we are winning and he is drawing to at best 31.8% with K10spades.

and yet I can't really put him on a draw here. I feel that 8 actually may have helped him, maybe 89, 810 preflop... either way i think I check and see what the river brings.

Any Thoughts?
Old 05-24-2005, 11:02 AM

I think I like this.

I'd probably bet about $100-$110 on the turn to discourage him from getting tricky with just a J.

The fold is good.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:13 AM

If your worried about your QQ, i would think a re-raise flop would help better define your hand. If he re-reaises here, your read on him would be your option to fold or call down the hand.

Is he a player who bets his draw hands? With only TP I would not be inclined to give him another opportunity to CR. I re-raise on the flop if he calls I think is enough to get you to slow down. How does he play his sets?

I like the board pairing and might go broke on this hand. I do think he has a read on you with your betting tendencies and either knows he can get you to fold or knows he has you beat. You have position and he has CR'd you twice.

I dont like your 90 bet on the turn and folding to the reraise. You still have outs against anything excepty quads and while CRing hitting your set and quads would be an interesting play, I dont see it. Looks like you are still getting better than 3-1 on your money with QQ and outs.

In the end, I would have cosidered a re-raise on the flop for more information. If he is still in, i consider check/calling this hand down unless I improve or have a better read on villian.