Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2005, 09:14 AM

Default River Action?

Villain seems like he's decent at this game....that's about I know at this point.

I really felt like I needed to bet this river. You see why I called PF after I act, so let's talk about postflop.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (11 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

River: (9.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero ?
Old 05-24-2005, 09:21 AM

Default Re: River Action?

Check. He's usually got a pair. He's not folding if he does. If he missed some sort of draw, he usually is folding. But there aren't many draws possible.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Check. He's usually got a pair. He's not folding if he does. If he missed some sort of draw, he usually is folding. But there aren't many draws possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was fairly aggressive (I should have had that in the OP), I really felt if he had a pair being raised EP, I would heard about it on the turn; however, maybe that 2nd 9 scared him, I thought. At any rate, my read on him on the river was overcards, and I thought if that was the case, his hand was probably AK-AJ and I was going to lose if I didn't bet.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:28 AM

I misread the preflop action. I think he calls with A-high on this board pretty often. Although it probably is worth a bet.

I'd probably fold this one preflop. I may just let it go on the flop. Both are close.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I misread the preflop action. I think he calls with A-high on this board pretty often. Although it probably is worth a bet.

I'd probably fold this one preflop. I may just let it go on the flop. Both are close.

[/ QUOTE ]

PF the people behind me were calling everything cold...I knew there was a huge chance we were going multiway...that was my thoughts.

The flop was close, I thought raise or fold and decided to raise because of the BDFD and the chance of getting HU with someone that had the ability to fold.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:33 AM

I feel like this may be one of those hands you have to close your eyes and bet, I can't see winning unless he folds...and by betting you may get AJ, AQ, AK to fold.

If he is reasonable, and has a reasonable opinion of you.....will he let go of overcards on the river unimproved?

Assuming you are behind right now, which seems likely, you do not have to take this pot down very often with a bet to make it correct...

Is my thinking off?
Old 05-24-2005, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel like this may be one of those hands you have to close your eyes and bet, I can't see winning unless he folds...and by betting you may get AJ, AQ, AK to fold.

If he is reasonable, and has a reasonable opinion of you.....will he let go of overcards on the river unimproved?

Assuming you are behind right now, which seems likely, you do not have to take this pot down very often with a bet to make it correct...

Is my thinking off?

[/ QUOTE ]

These were all my thoughts. If he did have overcards, it would very hard to call this river as any small pair beats you.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:35 AM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!

Since u got this far, u have to bet.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PF the people behind me were calling everything cold...I knew there was a huge chance we were going multiway...that was my thoughts.

The flop was close, I thought raise or fold and decided to raise because of the BDFD and the chance of getting HU with someone that had the ability to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
OK then. With that info definitely bet the river, IMO. If you're playing the flop with the thought of winning often enough without a showdown to make it profitable you definitely need to follow through with that plan. The worst thing you can do here is dump a bunch of chips in with the worst hand but then give up on it on the end.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:40 AM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

I bet. He'll fold &gt; 1 in 9.5 times.