Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2005, 07:46 AM

Default Potentially huge pot in a live NL game.

Great NL game at Greektown in Detroit. Blinds are 2-2-5, with 2 on the button. I have about $1550 to start the hand.
I'm dealt J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the CO. A bunch of calls to me, I make it $55 to go. A lady to my left calls cold, meaning she either has a decent pair or an ak type hand. She has about $500. UTG who is very loose, but doesn't limp re-raise from what I've seen, makes it $155 to go. He has over $3000 in chips. Right now I have him pegged for AA, and maybe KK. I call, planning to play for a set. The flop is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen, J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and the LAG bets $300. Do I move in on the flop, or let him bet again on the turn?
Old 05-24-2005, 08:04 AM

Default Re: Potentially huge pot in a live NL game.

Reluctantly call and try to make him think you have QQ to his KK+ or KK to his AA. Then pot will be 900 on the turn and you can get the last 900 off him at your leisure, he wont be able to fold. His only chance to escape is if you raise the flop so dont.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:09 AM

if he has AA (probably), youre prob gonna double up no matter what. i think you should just move in, bc he will likely put you on KK/QQ and instantly call... maybe youll make quads on the turn and it will be really bad for your action... who knows?
Old 05-24-2005, 08:18 AM

If you had QQ, would you really move all in (an overbet) against a limp-reraiser who'se just bet the pot into you on a meaningless board? I dont think so. You'd be trying to keep the pot small.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you had QQ, would you really move all in (an overbet) against a limp-reraiser who'se just bet the pot into you on a meaningless board? I dont think so. You'd be trying to keep the pot small.

[/ QUOTE ]no,id fold. because this guy most likely sucks, i think he has AA and will call. if he mucked this hand id feel sick... against alot of players, calling is clearly better. playing a small pot with QQ cannot possibly happen. look at pot size/ stack sizes... its all or nothing.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Great NL game at Greektown in Detroit. Blinds are 2-2-5, with 2 on the button. I have about $1550 to start the hand.
I'm dealt J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the CO. A bunch of calls to me, I make it $55 to go. A lady to my left calls cold, meaning she either has a decent pair or an ak type hand. She has about $500. UTG who is very loose, but doesn't limp re-raise from what I've seen, makes it $155 to go. He has over $3000 in chips. Right now I have him pegged for AA, and maybe KK. I call, planning to play for a set. The flop is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen, J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and the LAG bets $300. Do I move in on the flop, or let him bet again on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's put it this way:

how could smooth calling be wrong?
Old 05-24-2005, 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i call pretty quickly. dont try to overact this one. just call quick and he'll think QQ or KK. the money is probably going in either way though.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:15 AM

There is a general concensus that the guy has AA/KK and wont let it go easily.
I don't like just calling here regardless. Lets say the guy wakes up out of his sleep and tries to figure out what you have. Villan will be hard pressed to put you on a 9, so with his AA, he feels confident.
Regardless, there are only 3 calling hands: JJ, 99, Q10. He can safely rule out Q10 unless he thinks you are a nutball, so really you can ONLY be slowplaying. He has defined his hand so if probably thinks that QQ, TT, AK etc will fold the flop, and maybe get raised by KK. He would go over teh top and you take it down.
But then again, who here isn't willing to pay off JJ here anyway? Assuming that Villan has AA in this position, put yourself in his shoes. Are you afraid more of a call or a reraise? If he just calls, and you smell a rat and check, who can honestly say they would fold to a moderate to large bet in that situation the vast majority of the time?
But then it gets into the stack size point that others are making sooooo...
what I would like to know is how people would play it if hero had $5000 and villian had $10000.
OR how would you play it early in a big multi-table tournament? A little more creative possibilities here...

(anyone else find teh raise to $155 a little small, as it might get 2 callers[the tight lady is in too], instead of just the heads up that he might be looking for? A situation like that I think I would come out of the woodwork in a big way and maybe bet 300-500. Make it look like a steal and commit bettor and caller to go all in b4 flop or fold and I wil $110. In addition, he is giving hero enough implied odds to call for a set)
Old 05-24-2005, 10:44 AM

I would call on the flop and intend to bet or raise on the turn. What I would do is make the pot big enough for the villian to be committed to this hand.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:50 AM

I would call here, the money is probably going in regardless though.