Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2005, 12:18 AM

Default First Post...AQ

I have been lurking for a while and decided that I would make my first post to get some information about this hand. Dont be too hard on me.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (5 handed) converter

SB (t920)
Hero (t1300)
UTG (t3855)
MP (t710)
Button (t1215)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t200</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t100.

Flop: (t450) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t150</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t500</font>, Hero calls t515.

Turn: (t1615) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t1615) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t1615

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Qh As (straight, queen high).
Button has Kh Kc (straight, king high).
Outcome: Button wins t1615. </font>
Old 05-23-2005, 12:33 AM

Default Re: First Post...AQ

u played it fine IMO [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] , welcome to the forum.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:51 AM

Noobs gotta stick together. My first post was yesterday. Advice is worth exactly what you pay for it, so here goes. I didn't look at the results, but will do so after this post.

I don't like completing the Button bet pre-flop. Would have folded or at least raised 3xBB to define his hand or push him out. You should have a read on the guy by now and that alone would make your decision easier.

It is most likely a coin-flip at this point (I would put villian on a mid-pair with the weak raise and go all-in to force HIM to make a decision).

Assuming you fold pre-flop, you still have a mid-stack and only the SB you have to commit next. With 12BB to play, you have plenty of room to catch either a better spot to steal or a better hand to defend.

Since you let him see the flop for cheap, he can scare you with a whole range of hands, bet his hand for value or bluff you out.

Moral: Kind of an all or nothing play after his initial bet. That is the only time you could reasonably control the action and "willingly" contribute to the pot.

Just a Noob....... Slacker
Old 05-23-2005, 12:55 AM

You hit top pair on the flop, considering you don't move all-in preflop, which is bad, IMHO, I don't think you can lay down. I probably bet, and move all-in over the top. No way I lay down TPTK there.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:56 AM

Boy was I wrong! Somebody please come take all my money. Welcome to the forum Mr. Muck.

Still Slacking
Old 05-23-2005, 12:58 AM

I would just shove her in preflop.

Brad
Old 05-23-2005, 01:10 AM

Looks decent to me. I personally don't like AQo as I don't play it the very best, so I might been keen on folding it to any raise. But since it was just a 2BB raise, that's something I might call...maybe. But that's just me.

After the flop, I think you played it decent. I probably would have bet the pot on the flop thought. But nothing wrong with the check-raise.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:12 AM

Preflop: Pushing's not a horrendous play, but I think flat-calling and feigning weakness is a great setup if you flop an ace or a queen. Calling leaves your hand undefined as you could just be one of those idiots that calls a minraise from BB "because you're already half-way in."

On the flop: Given the setup, I guess the check is requisite on the flop if you feel Villain is guaranteed to bet. Given that he did, I don't like reraising him 350 into a pot with 600 in it. There are two draws on the board. Take down the pot now and add 50% to your stack.

Given that you bet: The reraise all-in sucks. It's at this point you think: 'Villain feigned weakness twice and is now all of a sudden committing all his chips. Suspicious.' But then you suck it up, realize this is not a $200+$15 and call ...

Just to get splooged all over your face by KK.

Still, results aside, I think the play is fine except for the reraise on the flop. You got shown KK this time, but I think the vast majority of the time you'll be shown stuff like AT or even A8.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:13 AM

mmmm..i didnt notice the huge blinds..anyway its a push..
Old 05-23-2005, 01:47 AM

What buyin is this?

I think you need to define your style here as to decide, is this the best line. If your style is to play AQ 5 handed, then a reraise is the best line here, not a call.

You're at ~12xBB. Does this enter into your decision at all?