Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2005, 10:52 PM

Default Downswing eating my soul. What\'s normal?

I've currently played about 30k combined of .5/1 and 1/2. If any of you remember my stats post from a few weeks back, I was beating .5/1 for 3BB/100 after about 18k and was beating the hellish Crypto at 2.68BB/100.

Since then I have gotten pretty much owned. I've lost over 1/3 of my total earn and about 220 BB (including -65BB at the Cryptos in about 2 hours). Obviously, I'm not an expert player so my play magnifies the streak but when should I be making plans for what I'm gonna spend my freshly-cashed-out-roll on? I was under the impression that -200BB was about the worst swing I could expect but there seems to be no end in sight. Anyone had anything worse?

I seem to be getting a normal distribution of bad beats. Nothing unusual. Unfortunately, big draws seem to come in shorthanded exclusively. Multiway, they cost me 432 bets to see the river and decide they don't feel like coming in that time. My big broadways miss entirely or get drawn out on, JJ flops every overcard, QQ 3-way and both villains flop sets etc.

Before anyone says it, I am constantly trying to find good tables so I can't blame it on selection and I've already taken a week off and the swing picked up right where it started...

Basically my question is, how bad can this get before I am some pathetic outlier with only bonus money to his credit?
Old 05-22-2005, 10:55 PM

Default Re: Donswing eating my soul. What\'s normal?

Keep playing. Post hands. Downswings are normal, sad, and angering. Upswings happen. Stop playing if you're tilting.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stop playing if you're tilting.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-22-2005, 11:15 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Stop playing! You're tilting.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My very first FYP

A 220BB downswing at the micros is pretty hardcore. If you're playing perfect poker, statistically you could still go a bit lower. 300BB swings are not unheard of around here.

That said, judging by the tone of your post, you need to take a few days off. Just let the bonuses die, and go outside, read a book, catch up on TIVO, do anything but play poker. Hell, don't even think poker for a little while. So, if you're reading a book, don't make it a poker book. Come back in a few days, brush up on everything, make sure your head is on straight, and go back at it.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:24 PM

Default Re: Downswing eating my soul. What\'s normal?

Not that I'm a great player by any stretch, but I just took a couple of months off and picked up another hobby for a bit. The other day, I got in the mood to play, so I read the forums a couple days, reread my favorite parts of SSHE, rerolled myself and went to it. Taking the time off did wonders and I am much clearheaded than before. I'm not where I want to be, but see things better. My advice, for what it's worth: Take a few weeks off. And to echo the others, don't play tilted.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:38 PM

I think you are playing to much. Thats a lot of hands in a short time, How many ables are you playing and how many hours a week.

Your stats look good to me and normal for a player winning at that level.

My suggestion is to look at every hand you play and see if you can see any mistakes. We all make them even when winning. Instead of playing an hour - look over the previous session hand by hand.

What this will do is either show you a leak OR show you that your just getting rottin luck.

Just step back and take a breath. Losing is what makes a good winner. It's how you handle these down swings that make you a better player.

Grinders Warehouse BLOG Edition
Old 05-22-2005, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've lost over 1/3 of my total earn and about 220 BB (including -65BB at the Cryptos in about 2 hours). Anyone had anything worse?

[/ QUOTE ]
I lost 235 BB over the course of three nights. I made a post about it around the end of Feb or March. I was playing while tired and distracted. I took a break and came back gOOt.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:44 PM

Your quote box is in French. What the [censored].
Old 05-23-2005, 12:06 AM

Je ne sais pas.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Je ne sais pas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow this is going to be ridiculously off topic.

Does your PStars name have a zero (0) or an "o" (O) in it?