Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2005, 04:00 PM

Default Interesting 20/40 hands at Harrah\'s New Orleans

Guys, I think I know where I went wrong on these hands, but I would appreciate any advice. This was my first 20/40 game, I usually play 10/20 and 15/30. Both of these hands happenned during my first 4 hands at the table. We were playing 6 handed.

Hand 1:
UTG raises, a middle player calls, I look at 2 black aces and make it 3 bets, the blinds fold and the other two players call. The flop comes Qd Jh Ah; utg checks, middle player bets, I call. The turn is the Qh; utg checks, middle player bets, i call, utg raises, middle player calls, i re-raise to 3bets, utg makes it 4 bets, middle player folds, I make it 5 bets, utg calls. The river is insignificant; utg bets, i raise, utg re-raises, i call. Utg turns over 4 queens and takes the pot.

Hand two (the very next hand):
I'm one off the button holding A9 offsuit, everyone folds to me and i raise. The big blind (same guy who just turned over the quads) re-raises while saying he hasn't looked at his cards yet, i call. The flop is 9 2 9 rainbow. He bets, i call. Turn is an Ace, giving me 9's full. Big blind bets, i raise, he re-raises, i make it 4 bets, he makes it 5 bets and I raise him my last $20. River is insignificant; big blind turns over pockets Aces for Aces full. I get up from the table and tell him "thank you you're sending me back to the 10/20 where i belong."

Like I said, i'm pretty sure i know where i went wrong, but i'd love to here some input. I'll post my thinking through each hand a little later.
Old 05-22-2005, 04:41 PM

Default Re: Interesting 20/40 hands at Harrah\'s New Orleans

The only mistake I see is you let your self get all in. That should never happen in limit poker.

lf
Old 05-22-2005, 04:49 PM

Um, I don't see any mistakes here.. it looks like you got completely unlucky.

And isn't hand number 2 the Rounders hand, played out almost the exact same way?
Old 05-22-2005, 06:02 PM

The only place you went wrong was telling him that you were going back to a lower limit (because you belong there). Maybe your bankroll is such that you should drop down, but nobody on this forum gets away from those hands.......................

And most would not have the composure to be friendly after the second.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 05-22-2005, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And isn't hand number 2 the Rounders hand, played out almost the exact same way

[/ QUOTE ]

Close, but in the Rounders hand Mike was never in front, Flop was A-9-x 9 on the turn.

lf
Old 05-22-2005, 09:05 PM

Thanks for the responses. Its reassuring to hear that others would have played it the same way. I know I got really unlucky, but I do think that I played the river on hand #1 wrong. I cost myself 2 big bets.

The way the hand was played, he has to know that I have at least a full house (at the very least Jacks full). So, really the only hands he could legitimately bet are AQ, QQ, or Kh10h(making a royal). Again, I just sat down at this table, so I don't really have any type of read on anybody; still, I just cant see him betting pocket Jacks here. I fell in love with my hand, and I broke my cardinal rule of poker: i always do my best to asses who has the best hand and then play accordingly. In this spot, I didnt think about his hand enough- i thought for an instant about him having a royal flush, but quads never crossed my mind. I just played my cards and also got distracted by thinking "well if i lose, at least i get 1/2 of the bad beat jackpot (which was at 12k)." The sick part was, the hand didnt qualify, because the game was 20/40 and the room doesnt do a bad beat rake for games over 15/30. Disheartening to say the least.

For hand #2, theres not really anything i did wrong. I just plain got unlucky. Stomaching 2 big loses to 1 outers on the turn two hands in a row to the same guy while in a bigger game i'm just taking a shot in is tough. Thats why i told him what i did- i'll probably never see him again and that was the only way i could keep my composure.

As far as the rounders comparison, i think one of the 9s came on the turn. And, getting all in in a limit game was a mistake. I simply only had enough time to pull out $200 b/t the two hands (a mistake, but im glad i made it).

I know im probablly just venting, but I want to try to learn something from my first 20/40 experience. Thanks for taking the time to read. Please post any more comments that you have.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:37 PM

First off, I can't believe this post hasn't fallen victim to the old "posting bad beat stories under the guise of hand analysis" attack. Just for the record, I'm not saying you were. Anyway, I think the flop should have been played differently in hand #1. With three broadway cards and the two flush out there, it seems like getting cute on the flop and letting UTG in cheap is wrong. By just callling MP's flop bet, UTG is getting 12.5-1 on a call and closing the action. There are an awful lot of hands that could raise UTG 6 handed and be willing to stick that bet in there and see what happens. Hope your luck turns.

Card
Old 05-25-2005, 01:49 PM

Hand 1: You just hit the bad beat jackpot. Aces full of Queens lost to Quad Queens.

When I was down in New Orleans the past week. The bad beat jackpot was hit twice.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only mistake I see is you let your self get all in. That should never happen in limit poker.

lf

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude. Give him a break. He was taking a shot at twice his normal limit and had two full houses busted in 2 hands.