Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2005, 04:32 AM

Default Number of buy-ins when playing SnG’s

Number of buy-ins when playing SnG’s

Hi

I am sorry to ask a question that has probably been asked many times before, but my search in the two plus two archives didn’t answer my question. What would be an appropriate number of buy-ins if you play micro limit SnG’s where most opponents are super loose and quite aggressive.

The reason I ask is that I have found a poker site where it is possible (in theory anyway) to build a bankroll scratch. This is done by playing free single table SnGs where the first three places places gets 0.02, 0.03 and 0.05 $. With 0.05 $ it is possible to play a 0.04+0.01 SnG where the first price is 0.2 $. They also provide 0.1+0.01, 0.25+0.02 … 100+5 $ SnGs.

So it should be possible to build a bankroll from scratch. I should add that I play these SnG for fun I know that there are easier ways to earn money by playing poker, but I see this as a nice challenge.

My prior experiences with SnGs are approximately 100 5+1 and 10+1 NL at Paradise, Party, Pacific and Empire where I am a slight winner.

My guess is that around 6 times buy-in should be sufficient before moving up to next level of SnG. How does this sound? Is that a bit optimistic?

Any help would be appreciated

Best Regards

sunek
Old 05-22-2005, 04:38 AM

Default Re: Number of buy-ins when playing SnG’s

6 times buy-in is incredibly optimistic, but you're not really afraid of losing your BR, right? And I think the .4+.1 offer terrible rake, I'd skip straight to the $.1+$.01.

Normally, you want at least 30 times buy-in, 50 times buy-in if you're afraid of losing your BR. Considering the stakes you're playing at, 15-20 times buy-in should be sufficient.
Old 05-22-2005, 04:44 AM

My biggest drop was ~40. Have had three ~20 drops also. And there is no real reason why that 40 couldn't have turned into 50 or even 60, despite me being a winning player. I was for the most part playing winning poker when dropping those buyins.

I think 30 buyins is fine as long as you are prepared to drop down a limit when the going gets rough. If you are a winning player you will build bankroll enough to take the bumps of variance.

Since you are doing this for free and for learning, I think you can move up levels faster in the beginning. The worst that can happen is that you lose those few cents. I would recommend at least 10 buying and you moving down a level once you have below 5 buyins. At a certain level ($5/10/20 or whatever) you will need ~30 buyins.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:32 AM

Man, deposit $50 at this site and play the $5 SnG's instead of spending 100 hours to win $8.

Even at 10% ROI (which is a joke) it'd take you 10 freebie wins to get that $.50, and you should easily be making that per SnG at the $5's.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:42 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />
Man, deposit $50 at this site and play the $5 SnG's instead of spending 100 hours to win $8.

Even at 10% ROI (which is a joke) it'd take you 10 freebie wins to get that $.50, and you should easily be making that per SnG at the $5's.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is true that it can take 100 hours to earn to the first 8 $. However it is not a question about money – my daytime job pays 5000 $ a month, it is the challenge to make money from nothing I find interesting.

- sunek
Old 05-22-2005, 05:48 AM

Well since you have the money available make a $100 deposit and challenge yourself to get that up to $500 playing the $5 and $10 SnGs.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it is the challenge to make money from nothing I find interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you have to win 20 tourneys just to afford something off Wendy's dollar menu (tax excluded), you're not making money.

You've got enough cash that you can make a deposit and play real tourneys. That's your best course of action.

I don't know what advice anyone can give. Doesn't seem like you have any questions here, just looks like you're notifying everyone that it's possible to make a nickel/tourney. Which I guarantee nobody cares about.

Edit: nm, I saw the question. It's about buyins. Well, since 6x buyins for the .1 + .01 is 66 cents...can't say it matters too much. 1 buyin, 100 buyins, it's all the same.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:58 PM

are u over 18?Anyway I tried playinng the 55s with 8 buy-ins...didnt go so well, so I suggest you find somebody to give u free money( ive found someone already 3 times!)
Old 05-22-2005, 02:53 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />
are u over 18?Anyway I tried playinng the 55s with 8 buy-ins...didnt go so well, so I suggest you find somebody to give u free money( ive found someone already 3 times!)

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes I am over 18. I don't understand the rest of your posting. Playing the 55s? I am not sure what you refer to when you talk about getting free money - I have received 10 $ from some sites after having signed up as a new member but with out depositing any money. Is that what you are talking about?
If you know any poker sites that gives away money for free please let me know.

-sunek
Old 05-22-2005, 02:54 PM

Ppl have send me free money to my accounts Im being serious, no kidding. You just have to serach for them