Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2005, 02:24 AM

Default MTT Coaching

I'm in the market for an MTT coach/mentor. Is this something any of you do, or can any of you reccomend someone you trust? You/they would be paid of course.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:43 AM

Default Re: MTT Coaching

JoeTable-

Several players here are qualified, but MLG is the ony one I know of that does any coaching. Actually, I don't even *know* that, but I am making an assumption based on some hand posts that his "student" played.

I can't vouch for his coaching ability, but I know the kid can play.

Later,
Che
Old 05-22-2005, 02:47 AM

As a start, I'd recommend reading Harrington on Hold Em which is a great foundation for MTT play. From there, just be an active member of the board posting hands that were confusing, bringing up concepts that you'd like more knowledge about, etc. I think you'll get up to speed quickly.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:01 AM

I have every NL tourney book written with the exception of Buntjer's (sp?). I've read hundreds of posts on these forums. What I'm hoping to get is some one on one coaching, ideally I'm playing (via phone or IM). I don't know if this is the norm or not, but I just don't feel like the books are helping much.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:02 AM

Lloyd-

I thought you were steaming and on your way to bed about 2 hours ago. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Seriously, I would have made a very similar post to yours (except the HOH reference - haven't read it) if this guy was a new poster, but with ~98 posts I figure he already understands the value of reading the forum. Might be a bad assumption on my part, though...
Old 05-22-2005, 03:07 AM

I'm going to post my entire tourney for discussion. I played very well early on. I got some good cards, used my stack wisely, and then lost everything in 3 hands. I think I could have avoided it and want some feedback. Sorry to hijack the thread . . .

From looking at your posting history, it doesn't look like you've posted many of your own hands and you'll get MUCH more out of that then reading posts about others. And in the past, some people have posted entire tournament histories for feedback.

I'm sorry that the books you've read haven't been too helpful. I really believe that if you took all of your books other than Harrington on Hold Em (and maybe Super System) and burned them you'd be better off. Read HOH over and over and I can't believe your game won't improve substantially. Combine that with posting of YOUR hands and you'll get everything a coach would give to you and a lot more. I worked briefly with someone often considered the best coach in the business but got more out of this board.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:23 AM

Here's the thing. I can play. I know this. I can get maximum from my good hands, and get away from the bad ones. Tight aggressive, etc. etc. etc. Where I'd like to improve is in the fringes. Re-steal raises, sniffing out weakness, bluffing etc. I've won lots of tournies, but I'm beginning to get the picture that it's usually only when I'm runnin good. I'm fairly certain Daniel, Juanda, Phil et al aren't simply getting better cards than I am ;-)