Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2005, 01:25 AM

Default Question to serious MTT players..

Every MTT player goes through good runs and bad runs. Typically how long do your bad runs last? I've been on a horrible streak all of May and I really need some sort of score. I'm wondering how long this will last...the bad beats keep coming (no this isn't a whining post). Any sort of input on this would be appreciated.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:29 AM

Default Re: Question to serious MTT players..

In January I won four multis and practically couldn't play without cashing. I didn't cash again until April, and I still haven't won since then.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In January I won four multis and practically couldn't play without cashing. I didn't cash again until April, and I still haven't won since then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen. the variance MTT players deal with is greater in terms of time than players at any other poker pursuit.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:43 AM

Oh it will probably last 4 months, that is the standard length that poker site decides to give you for a slump. It varies though, pokerstars advertises that their slumps will only last 3 months, so it depends where you are.

Ok, to the serious part. There is no way of knowing how many more bad beats you will take, why? Because its random, the deck doesn't know if you have been running bad or good lately, so the odds are the same every hand. AA beats KK 80% of the time, but sometimes it will lose 5 times in a row. it happens when it happens, theres no schedule. You may win a tournament tommorow, the previous results have no effect. if you keep playing solid poker a big cash should happen. If you feel the bad results are making you play crappy, take a break.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:51 AM

I can't really address the length of potential "slumps", but what I can suggest is taking a little time off. I think it's easy to start trying to push things, or even worse start playing so passively that you're getting pushed around and making bad decisions. Take a few weeks off, lose the bad habits, and start up fresh with the solid play that brought success to begin with.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:51 AM

I do realize this, I wasn't looking for any pity or anything, I understand it is all part of the game. I was more curious as to how long a standard bad run lasts for most players, since I know everyone does go through them once in a while. I have only been playing MTTs for 2 months so I don't have a whole lot of experience when it comes to this.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:58 AM

Like augie, I had an utterly ridiculous month from Nov-Dec, ran dry (no FTs, VERY few cashes) until the end of Mar, and have been doing well since then (5 wins, many FTs)

I have to agree w/ the 4 months augie quoted you.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:00 AM

Doyle Brunson went almost all of 2004 without any significant victory.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:11 AM

MG1-

[ QUOTE ]
Typically how long do your bad runs last?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have had two cold streaks so far this year. Both lasted 6-7 weeks.

First one was last week of January to mid/late March: down over $10K.

I then made two final tables one week and won a WSOP seat the next.

My next win of any meaningful size was 6-7 weeks later (this week, in fact) when I won a second WSOP seat. I only dropped a few thousand in the second cold streak, but it was still a significant enough streak that my wife commented that it had been "a long time" since I had won anything. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

The point of this is: it's easy to go south for 6 weeks playing MTT's and not uncommon to have a bad streak that is much longer.

Keep slugging it out (and have the discipline to drop down if your bankroll requires it) and you'll be fine.

Later,
Che
Old 05-22-2005, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh it will probably last 4 months, that is the standard length that poker site decides to give you for a slump. It varies though, pokerstars advertises that their slumps will only last 3 months, so it depends where you are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Imao. I used be a MTT fanatic until I went on a cold streak for about 4 months! I was on a super hot streak before that so I had a pretty big BR but then lost about 1/3rd of it so I decided to start playing cash games and now I only play 2-3 tournaments a week. So I guess I never recovered from my cold streak. I still love tournaments though. Winning a big pot in a cash game is nothing compared to winning a MTT.