Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2002, 12:41 AM

Default NFL- GreenB-MV game- go for 2???

Someone explain the logic here- GB scores TD, 26-22... and goes for 2 points? Why?

Kick EXP= 27-22. Vikings score a miracle TD, 28-27. If Vikings go for 2 or 1, Packers can still get quick field position and try a long field goal for the win.

Go for two- make the 2 pointer, 28-22. Vikes score, HAVE to kick EXP, 29-28. Packers still kick field goal to win.
BUT, miss the two- 26-22. Vikes score TD, kick EXP = 29-26 ... Now a Packer TD only TIES the game, instead of wins it...
or WORSE, Vikes get 2-pointer for 30-26 and make the Packers score a TD to win

So,it seems to me that going for 2 here just puts you at more risk of eventually losing, if the Vikings can come down and score..

Am I missing something, or was that a bad call by Green Bay? Didn't matter for this game obviously...
Old 12-09-2002, 12:54 AM

Default Re: NFL- GreenB-MV game- go for 2???

Couldn't agree more. Bad enough they go for two, but it looked like they were trying QB draw except for bad snap. Risking getting Favre killed on a meaningless play?
Old 12-09-2002, 01:29 AM

I was a bit surprised they would go for 2 with over a minute left, but I can certainly see the logic in going for 2 with maybe 30 seconds or less left. After GB scores wiht over a minute left if Minnesota does get a miracle touchdown, then GB may very well have time enough (30 seconds or so) to get in field goal range and win the game. This is why I'd go for one there in case this does happen.

Now if GB were to score with 30 seconds or so left, then going for 2 is probably correct. With that little time left, GB would have to think if by some miracle Minnesota does score then there would not be even enough time left to come back and get in field goal range so at least force them to make the extra point to win the game even though its extremely unlikely they would miss.

-ActionBob
Old 12-09-2002, 09:41 AM

the packers had already blocked one PAT in the game.
maybe they would have a chance to block another?

Old 12-09-2002, 10:35 AM

Default duhhh...

You and vegasone are right, shouldn't assume the EXP would be automatic for Vikes (heck, the way that THEY play...), so going for two makes them at least kick to win.... and since there was only 1 minute+ left, guess it makes sense for the 2-point play.

thanks