Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Gabe Kaplan is the nuts

He and Lederer are men among boys when it comes to poker commentary. "Ignore the percentages, this hand will never be shown down" Awesome.
Old 05-21-2005, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Gabe Kaplan is the nuts

He's awesome as hell. Him and Lederer would be a deadly combination.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:26 PM

i actually like the guy who is doing play by play too... matt vasgersian... i think he does baseball somewhere... his calls give the show a big-time feel... nbc has easily the best poker announcers... finally i can listen to poker commentary without wanting to light myself on fire
Old 05-21-2005, 05:35 PM

Vasgersian does the SD Padres TV currently I think.
Used to do the Brewers.

he also was NBC's announcer for Olympic softball and baseball.

He's not really one of my favorites for baseball (his home-run calls used to be really over the top...not sure if they still are)
....but I admit that he is pretty decent on the poker telecasts and I've been impressed.

Lederer and Kaplan together would make an AWFUL team unless a Vasgersian or Chris Rose or somebody was there to lead the broadcast along.

If it was a 3-man team WITH a decent play-by-play guy AND Kaplan and Lederer I agree that would be the nuts.

But Kaplan handles the commentary just fine on his own imo.
His analysis of the hands and the players is accurate without being Sexton/VVP exaggerated ("he'll remember this hand for 50 years Vince")

What bugs me the most about the WPT is if a player has 94o and the flop comes AK9 and Vince says something like, "Wow. He flopped a pair of 9's....He's WAY ahead here Mike."
How is it possible to totally ignore the fact that there are two REALLY scary cards on the board that he has to contend with?

Their analysis is often-times just embarassing.

but Kaplan is typically dead-on and I really enjoy his commentary.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He and Lederer are men among boys when it comes to poker commentary. "Ignore the percentages, this hand will never be shown down" Awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell yeah he is. Remember when he was addicted to knishes and couldn't stop eating them until he made a deal with Barbarino to stop eating knishes if Barbarino stopped smoking?

The guy's got an iron will, I tells ya.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What bugs me the most about the WPT is if a player has 94o and the flop comes AK9 and Vince says something like, "Wow. He flopped a pair of queens....He's WAY ahead here Mike."
How is it possible to totally ignore the fact that there are two REALLY scary cards on the board that he has to contend with?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope that's not ALL that bothers you about that commentary.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:55 PM

no. but it's up there.

(note...i changed pair of Q's to pair of 9's in my edit. sorry).

the bits about "they'll be talking about this hand for 50 years" and other such ridiculous exaggerations are worse.

Copies of Mike Sexton's book that is mostly about the WPT were given away in the gift-package on the PPM.
His analysis of the hands in the book is similar to his analysis on TV..but better.
He makes some reasonable observations (albeit a bit simplistic) in the book.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it equally impressive if he taped the commentary after the event, knowing the hand would not be shown down?
Old 05-21-2005, 09:06 PM

Don't know about that, but I played with him years ago and he was a world class jerk. And that's saying something, given the competition in those days in Gardena.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:39 PM

I don't know about you guys, but I'd love to see Mike Sexton + Gabe Kaplan. That would be awesome.

Kaplan also did color commentary for the 2002 WSOP final table, and he was solid then as well.

The things Kaplan were saying were the exact kinds of things 2+2'ers were thinking, but weren't being said by guys like Rose and VVP.