Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2005, 03:36 PM

Default WSOP Circuit hand from New Orleans (300+30)

Ok, so this was my very first B&M tournament and I made it down to the money (top 72 paid from about 860 total entrants). I have 5500 in chips and the level is 500/1000 with 100 ante. I am in the BB with KQo. MP is a loose player with a stack of purple equal to about 20k, and has been stealing alot because he was sitting behind the chip leader at our table with about 40k+. He raises it to 3000, and I am weary of this raise because he raised all in a few hands ago with 42o from the button. So I call and the flop comes K J x (I forgot what x was). There are 65 players left and 72-64 get $420 and the next payout is $490. I push my chips all in, he calls and flips over 2 pair KJ and hits the boat on the river, I finish 65th. Was this a bad move? Should I have waited for a better opportunity?
Old 05-21-2005, 04:16 PM

Default Re: WSOP Circuit hand from New Orleans (300+30)

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, so this was my very first B&M tournament and I made it down to the money (top 72 paid from about 860 total entrants). I have 5500 in chips and the level is 500/1000 with 100 ante. I am in the BB with KQo. MP is a loose player with a stack of purple equal to about 20k, and has been stealing alot because he was sitting behind the chip leader at our table with about 40k+. He raises it to 3000, and I am weary of this raise because he raised all in a few hands ago with 42o from the button. So I call and the flop comes K J x (I forgot what x was). There are 65 players left and 72-64 get $420 and the next payout is $490. I push my chips all in, he calls and flips over 2 pair KJ and hits the boat on the river, I finish 65th. Was this a bad move? Should I have waited for a better opportunity?

[/ QUOTE ]

James, I was sitting right next to you!!! I was the long-haired 24 year old on your left. I remember this hand (obviously) and thought two things. One, you were short enough that you should have committed PF. He wouldn't have folded, but you don't want him backing out on the flop, nor do you want to miss catching your king or queen on the turn or river. Before the flop, I also remember thinking, "I know you have this guy beat, man - get your money in. GET YOUR MONEY IN!!!" That guy was opening up his game as he correctly recognized that our side of the table was particularily tight (ironic, isn't it, that all the chips wound up on the side with the people who were still calling with K2s). So, you were right not to fold, but I would have committed.

It must nice to have someone respond who was at the same table and had a read on the very player in question. Tough beat though.

You look like I guy I used to work with in Hawaii. Also, tell your friend that I thought she was cute. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

CSC
Old 05-21-2005, 05:03 PM

The only way that I can see just calling is if you are going to put the remainder in on the flop regardless. If you had 5500 after putting in the blind, so that the call left you with 3500, it is possible that he might fold when you went all in on the flop. If not, then you probably needed to just push.
I probably would go with CSC's approach though given the need to pick up chips at that point.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:16 PM

How is the side game action there now? Long waiting lists?
Old 05-21-2005, 09:10 PM

There's absolutely no way to get away from that post-flop, and as previously stated, your chips should've been in already.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:04 PM

i think you played it perfect since he was loose.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:07 PM

stop n go is much better than committing. it gives you a chance he'll fold a hand that is better than or may outdraw you.

realistically, the other guy would always call on the flop.
but there is no reason to push in ahead of time just in case he is dumb enough to fold.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
stop n go is much better than committing. it gives you a chance he'll fold a hand that is better than or may outdraw you.

realistically, the other guy would always call on the flop.
but there is no reason to push in ahead of time just in case he is dumb enough to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
I completely agree with the stop and go. Yes, you are committing all of your chips to the hand pre-flop but that doesn't mean it's best to re-raise pre-flop. Smooth call and commit to putting all your chips in on any flop. As it turns out, when you hit top pair I think I would have checked to let him bluff (unfortunately, not a bluff in this case).
Old 05-21-2005, 10:41 PM

no real reason to check it since there is just a ton of chips in comparison to the additional chips you are trying to get.
there is like 7-8K, so you are just trying to get an additional 2500. i'd rather just end the hand.
i rather him fold AJ or something.