Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2005, 05:39 AM

Default Mucked hands

For all who don’t already know, Stars has a newish feature called Instant Hand History that allows you to check the hand history, including what your opponent mucks in a showdown, immediately without the hassles of email.

Anyone feel this has a dramatic change on how you play?

I love the information, but part of me wants to just play on instead of compulsively checking what that maniac called with after he capped the flop.

Also, in a live game, I'm curious if anyone has ever asked the dealer to show what cards your opponent mucked after he called you down?

I've been playing seriously for about a year and a half, and am not ashamed to admit that I wasn't even AWARE a player could ask to see a mucked hand after a showdown. Do you think this is common knowledge?

When posting this in other topics, the only reply was to not ask to see a mucked hand live. The reply didn’t say why.

So, for the sake of discussion, why not?

If the information is helpful, and the action is not against the rules, there shouldn’t be any reason not to. It will help you read your opponents and MAY prevent SOME from calling a bet on the river because they don't want to show (I've seen this online, when a player out of position actually folds instead of checking because he doesn't want to reveal his cards).

Should a player not ask to see mucked hands because it's breach of etiquette? Should he/she not because it kills the action? Should he/she not because it will give him/her a profit-killing image at the table?

I probably won't do it live, simply because I think it's annoying and a bit Bush. But I'm wondering if these are good enough reasons to bypass some strong information.

Anyone have insight for me?
Old 05-21-2005, 06:17 AM

Default Re: Mucked hands

This has been the case at Party for as long as I can remember. I feel it helps better players as:

1) They know where to find the information
2) They know how to use the information

As for online, I use it because it's there. Live, I don't because the purpose is to prevent collusion.