Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 10:03 AM

Default A Worse Player Wins This Pot...?

Hey all,

I feel like the forum has been going downhill lately, so yesterday afternoon, I decided that I would post at least one hand from the session that I had planned for last night. As it turns out, I played one that I think is at least moderately interesting/debatable/educational, so here it is:

Stars 5/10. Very loose table (haven't been there long, though). Four limpers to me, and I ($1000) complete my SB with Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. BB ($1000; mediocre predictable quasi-tightish guy who I don't think understands the game very well and who thinks I'm a fish [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) checks. 6 to the flop, which comes:

8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I check, BB bets $40, all fold to MP ($2000; completely unknown) who calls. I call. Three to the turn, which comes:

9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check, BB bets $100, MP min-raises to $200, I fold, BB calls. River comes:

Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

C'est la vie...

All comments greatly appreciated.

ML4L
Old 05-20-2005, 10:13 AM

Default Re: A Worse Player Wins This Pot...?

I would have probably played this one the same way - sucks you would've hit your 3-outer. The chance of you being good on the turn is slim especially with you not closing the action. If no min-raise, do you call?

What do you think about leading out the turn? You should freeze any 8 with a stop and go and can fold to a raise as they have either a straight or boat (or A8). That would lead to a sticky river though that you probably lose, so I like the check to see what develops more.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:16 PM

I don't like playing mediocre trips this passively. I generally lead either the flop or turn. But your play is not nessesarily bad.

The way you played it, i generally push to the turn minraise. There is plenty of hands that you're beating, but all of them have outs....I'm not good enough to make this big of a lay down but what the hell do i know?
Old 05-20-2005, 01:46 PM

I dont like check calling it at all, i like a flop lead and a turn CR(if it wasnt already minraised) witht he minraise, i call.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stars 5/10. Very loose table (haven't been there long, though).

[/ QUOTE ]

What is this an oxymoron? Very loose table on stars, what does that mean, 1 limper and the SB/BB play? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i generally push to the turn minrais

[/ QUOTE ]

If you push over that minraise, what worse hands call? What better hands fold? Very few IMO, and if called you have very few outs. Pushing seems to minimize the value of this hand. You might as well push on a stone cold bluff, as it will yield about the same results.

In this case it seems like MP flopped a 66/86 boat or filled up on the turn with a hand like 89 or 99 (though he probably raises 99 on that flop). There's some chance that he's an idiot that thinks his AA is still good, or that he has a hand like JJ and is probing to see if the 8 is out there, but it's unlikely that you have both MP and BB beat. And it will likely cost you your stack to distinguish the few cases where you are ahead.

I like the line here, and I would have been planning to call/ lead a decent river before that minraise ugliness happened. Leading out the flop or turn could work, though I prefer checking a 6-way flop. Leading the turn for ~3/4 pot is a viable alternative to ML's line.

-Kings
Old 05-20-2005, 02:11 PM

You are putting BB on an 8 and MP on the straight, if I'm reading correctly? Yes? And because the BB is "quasish tight" you think his 8 is A8/86/98/66/99? Or is no straight the case and you think you are dominated by a boat/bigger 8 by both players? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2005, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you push over that minraise, what worse hands call?

[/ QUOTE ]

Possibly a heart draw, 7-8,7-9,10-8

[ QUOTE ]
What better hands fold? Very few IMO

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed

[ QUOTE ]
You might as well push on a stone cold bluff, as it will yield about the same results.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite, but point taken
Old 05-20-2005, 03:44 PM

I would've led either flop or turn.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:53 PM

how does your action change if instead you were the bb and bb was the sb and he led out both streets?