Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 08:07 AM

Default 25-50 Live Straddle, Dead Re-Raise, \"COCKTAILS!\"

Seats 1-3 are decent players who happen to be losing. They consider themselves good players, one i've seen playing 40-80 round town but never sat down with.
Seat 5 is an old guy with 2 grand in front of him who won't stop smilling, stradling, or calling down.
Seat 6 is so raucus and obviously wasted i can't believe he's still being served. He's got a mountain of unstacked chips in front of him ~4k. He's raising any two and usually bothers to look at his cards on the turn.
Seat 7 is a straightforward abc player i'd played 8-16 with earlier. He thinks he's better/tighter than he is.
Seat 8 is shortstacked and folding.
Seat 9 won 10 pots in a row and ended up tipping the last dealer 200 bucks. What does he care he can't miss, has 2 stacks of black chips and another 3k in red. Was tilting and playing transparently in the same 16 game with seat 7 earlier.

Seat 4 is open.

I do not have the bank roll to play in this game. It's a crapshoot, 7 people to the flop for 3 or more bets. There are no uncontested pots. Fasten your seatbelt, put on your blindfold, keep firing, and i'll see you at the river.

I have to give it a shot. Any words of wisdom for an aspiring player? I'm sure that this scenario presents layers of strategy i do not yet appreciate, is playing tight and betting big when i still have the best of it a sufficient strategy for this game?

Screw it, lets gamb00l.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:54 AM

Default Re: 25-50 Live Straddle, Dead Re-Raise, \"COCKTAILS!\"

[ QUOTE ]

I do not have the bank roll to play in this game.

[/ QUOTE ]

My advice is you do not play in this game.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:34 AM

In either a no-limit game, or a extremely loose limit game, you need ammuntion if you want to go to war.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:53 PM

First, a couple of questions:

1. How much money do you have?

2. What is the downside of losing it?

The first time I played 15-30 I had $1000 and just took a shot. I had won the money playing online and thought the game was good enough for me to beat. If I lost, no big deal. I won that day and continued winning for some time. I spent alot of the winnings and eventually went bust with my "poker bankroll". Not a big deal. I had some nice stuff and ended my 15-30 playing up a sizable amount overall.

The key was that I wasn't playing with the rent money, the house money, the vacation money, etc. Losing $1000 wasn't going to change my life in any meaningful way. It would have just meant going a few weeks without extra spending money.

If you have $3000 that you can deal with losing, I see nothing terrible about taking a shot at the game. If losing that $3000 is going to cause some hardship, pass on the game.

As to strategy--

Play tight in the raised pots. AA-99, AK, AQs-ATs.
You're going to be playing showdown poker, so if the pot is going to 3-bets 7-ways like you said, you could even go as tight as AA-JJ, AK and have positive EV.

If you can get in cheap, go ahead and play suited connectors down to T9s and pairs down to 77 (and stuff like QTs). Try to stay in good position with these though. Don't call any raises from the decent players with these though.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:23 PM

Your description of these characters really made me laugh out loud. If the game is as wild as you say it is I would play any pair and any suited Ace, from any position. All the rest I'd throw away.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I have to give it a shot. Any words of wisdom for an aspiring player? I'm sure that this scenario presents layers of strategy i do not yet appreciate, is playing tight and betting big when i still have the best of it a sufficient strategy for this game?

[/ QUOTE ]

My advice: call your brother, and go 50/50
Old 05-20-2005, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My advice: call your brother, and go 50/50

[/ QUOTE ]

Best advice here. Man, I'd hate to let these people keep their money, but it is a high variance game. Find someone else who recognizes the incredible profitability in this investment and split the action.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seat 9 won 10 pots in a row and ended up tipping the last dealer 200 bucks. What does he care he can't miss, has 2 stacks of black chips and another 3k in red. Was tilting and playing transparently in the same 16 game with seat 7 earlier.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I see the problem.