Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 03:18 AM

Default David\'s Ability to think....

David has extolled his abilities excessively on this website. I am just curious why he's never made it to the top of the big games. Is there some hidden factor that seperates David from the guys beating this game. Or is he just not good enough?
Old 05-20-2005, 04:28 AM

Default Re: David\'s Ability to think....

maybe it's because he has other means as a source of income (2+2) and doesn't want to rely on "pissing matches" to live off of.

the fact of the matter is, the definition of one's poker "skill" is not a function of their bankroll. if david doesn't want to play for $500,000 like some other so-called high rollers, it doesn't mean that he's not as good as they are - it could (and probably does) mean that his risk-aversion at the $500,000 level is too high. variance is a bitch, and i wouldn't want to lose $500,000 due to a run of bad cards/bad luck.

honestly, if i was david (which i'm not [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) i wouldn't risk what i've already got because some people (who, if i was david, i wouldn't even care about) think i'm not good enough to play in the "big game". and it isn't even close....

ego has cost many people their well-being, and i hope david is too smart to let that get in his way of what he's got going on.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:40 AM

The expected value is small and the variance is high in the big game. I expect that the amount of money that David (could) make in the big game is not enough to make up for the swings that will occur.

An example (numbers totally made up): He might expect 0.25 BB/100 and have a standard deviation of 2BB. His bankroll would have to be very large to account for the inevitable swings.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:06 AM

David has made reference to this several times in here. It's because the elite pros have a greater edge over him in hand reading then David has over them in the other areas.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:07 AM

he is probably not good enough to beat the "big game". he will most likely admit this, why wouldn't he?
Old 05-20-2005, 08:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
David has extolled his abilities excessively on this website. I am just curious why he's never made it to the top of the big games. Is there some hidden factor that seperates David from the guys beating this game. Or is he just not good enough?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if David is smart enough to use the search function....
Old 05-20-2005, 09:55 AM

Default Ring of Niebelungen

[ QUOTE ]
I am just curious why [Sklansky]'s never made it to the top of the big games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again you are thinking of tournament poker.

(And you have not checked his hand. Ask 'im to raise it.)
Old 05-20-2005, 01:08 PM

"the fact of the matter is, the definition of one's poker "skill" is not a function of their bankroll. if david doesn't want to play for $500,000 like some other so-called high rollers, it doesn't mean that he's not as good as they are "

This is what people say all the time but IMO it is completely untrue. People naturally move up to the stakes they should be at and make that their "poker home."
Old 05-20-2005, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"the fact of the matter is, the definition of one's poker "skill" is not a function of their bankroll. if david doesn't want to play for $500,000 like some other so-called high rollers, it doesn't mean that he's not as good as they are "

This is what people say all the time but IMO it is completely untrue. People naturally move up to the stakes they should be at and make that their "poker home."

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if they're somehow confusing limits with ego.

Otherwise, people play at the limits they're comfortable with, where comfort includes their reason for being there in the first place.

Certainly, I can see where a professional player may gravitate to higher limits if they ensured a higher income. But, for the recreational player, playing at lower stakes might just satisfy a desire to crush a game rather than maximize hourly dollars collected.

But even for a pro player, if you're satisfied with your level of income and don't feel the need to make more, you might well choose not to move up, even if you could beat the higher limit game.

I mean after all, the higher limits you play, the fewer games you have to choose between. And isn't game selection one of the big skills a pro should have?
Old 05-20-2005, 01:37 PM

exactly.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]