Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2005, 01:03 PM

Default Good idea to limp with medium connectors?

The low limit hold 'em game at the Grand in Biloxi is 1-4-8-8 spread limit. As you know or can imagine, the game is real loose. So, of coure, I play really tight and win at a pretty good clip.

On my last trip, I really started limping in with hands like 87o from the button or the CO. One nice thing about 1-4-8-8 is that the big blind is only 2 bucks, but you can really punish the calling stations on the end if you make your straight. Also, it lets you play a few more hands and adds to the fun of your session.

But, alas, my goal is to be as profitable as possible, so I'm wondering if it's a good or bad idea from an EV standpoint to be limping from the button and the CO with 87o if there are, say 4 limpers in front of me.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:23 PM

Default Re: Good idea to limp with medium connectors?

Yeah sure.

-SmileyEH
Old 05-19-2005, 01:32 PM

It think your VPIP should be HUGE in this game compared to regular games.

If I understand: betting/raising occurs in increments of $1 preflop. Because of this, your implied odds are huge. So, yes, definitely play those connectors in LP.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:40 PM

Thanks for the help. You're just a little off on the structure, but I think your answer still applies.

The blinds are 1 & 2, then the raise can be anything from 1 to 4, and it's generally 4. So, the only danger you face limping is that the SB or the BB raises. In this game, though, very few players ever raise. And when they do, the whole table calls, so you still get into a pretty good pot with a hand that plays pretty well multi-way.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The low limit hold 'em game at the Grand in Biloxi is 1-4-8-8 spread limit. As you know or can imagine, the game is real loose. So, of coure, I play really tight and win at a pretty good clip.

On my last trip, I really started limping in with hands like 87o from the button or the CO. One nice thing about 1-4-8-8 is that the big blind is only 2 bucks, but you can really punish the calling stations on the end if you make your straight. Also, it lets you play a few more hands and adds to the fun of your session.

But, alas, my goal is to be as profitable as possible, so I'm wondering if it's a good or bad idea from an EV standpoint to be limping from the button and the CO with 87o if there are, say 4 limpers in front of me.

[/ QUOTE ]

910o is as low as I'll go, and only on the button. Hands like 85s probably play well, so play them before 87o, imo.