Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2005, 11:11 AM

Default Extracting value with a monster

Early in a tourney when the stacks were still deep, I had the following situation where I hit a monster. I'm obviuosly looking to get paid off, but is this a situation where I just won't be able to get anything more? Sorry this hand isn't very interesting, but what do you do as a standard play when flopping a monster in position with deep stacks, after having reraised preflop?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) converter

MP1 (t2200)
MP2 (t3790)
MP3 (t2700)
CO (t2160)
Hero (t2240)
SB (t1760)
BB (t2730)
UTG (t2520)
UTG+1 (t2400)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t60</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls t60, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t250</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls t190, MP3 folds.

Flop: (t590) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ??</font>

With the A on the board, there's only 1 A left in the deck, so do I just bet the flop and accept that I'll only be paid off if he has it? Checking behind after reraising preflop will set off alarm bells in this guy's head won't it? What's the best way to be paid off here?
Old 05-19-2005, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Extracting value with a monster

In these situations I will often throw a minimum bet or a bit larger. If they paid a lot to see the flop theyll often call to see if they can catch some luck or just because they think u dont have much. Then i will usually check the turn to make it look like his call scared me, hoping for him to get a bit of confidence to make a bet.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:33 AM

You could certainly check and hope that he has AK or connects with the turn in which case he'll probably lead out on the turn and you can raise. The other option is to make a continuation bet of about 1/2 the pot. Unless he has a big A you're not likely to get called but it could come in handy when you raise in the future and miss the flop, but still make the continuation bet. Unless he has AK or also has a set you're not likely to extract a lot of chips on this hand so I like the continuation bet to set myself up for a bluff later on.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:40 AM

i like a check. you have the Ac, so you probably don't have to worry about a flush draw. he's not likely to put any more money into this hand regardless, but checking gives him a 2-outer to lose his stack if he has a pocket pair (which he probably does).
Old 05-19-2005, 12:20 PM

If he raised UTG and stood a reraise, I see no problem giving him a free card here and hope he bets out the turn. First, it's highly unlikely he has a flush draw. You have the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] so the only possible flush draw he could have is if he's holding exactly K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I guess you should shut him out of the hand if you think that's what he has, but i doubt it. First, he may have AK w/o a flush draw, puts you on a high pair, doesn't worry about the flush and hopes that YOU will bet. Second, he may have KK or QQ in which case you may get a a value bet out of him on later streets if you check. If he does have a pair and in the off chance hits his set, you're getting his whole stack. Moreover, even if he does have a flush draw, you have strong re-draw possibilities to the nut flush, quads or a full house. That said, I'm checking this flop every time I see it unless I have good reason to think he's a total idiot. Check the flop and fire t200 into the pot on the turn if he checks again. Wait till the river to raise him if he bets the turn and river.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:22 PM

Unless you have been betting lots of flops with nothing up to now, i think its worth taking a small risk in position and checking here. The only realistic outdraw here is something like KQ of clubs. But that's unlikely and even then you have redraws. More likely he has kk - 10 10 and you will only get well paid if he catches or does something silly.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:37 PM

I wasn't too worried about the club draw, given that he called the reraise and we're heads up at this point, plus i have the A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. So I am a virtual lock to win the hand, and will have a 17 out redraw if he does have clubs and hits on the turn. My only concern is getting more of his money in.

It sounds like the best way to do that is checking. He could hit his "2 outer" for free, or might feel that his big A is good. Or he might feel he can push me off of KK or QQ or whatever. Unless he's holding an A, me making a bet on the flop won't give him the opportunity for any of this. And if he has an A, he'll likely feel better about it if I check behind the flop. I think once I raise his turn bet the jig will be up completely, but it's still better than him folding the flop, which is exactly what happened in the actual hand.