Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2005, 01:18 PM

Default Should we pre-register for WSOP prelims?

I'm heading over to Vegas on the June 2nd and plan on playing in 4-5 of the intial holdem tournaments starting on the 3rd. Do you think I should pre-register for any, especially the 1st one, online prior to arriving? For those of you attending, what are you planning to do?
Old 05-18-2005, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Should we pre-register for WSOP prelims?

bump
Old 05-18-2005, 07:07 PM

You mean preregister AND prepay?

I'm not a huge fan of the payment methods their using, and because of that I've been a little hesitant to prepay. But like many I'm worried that I'll be too late come June 1st.

I'm optomistic that there won't be more than the 2200 cap registered before the cards are dealt, but you never know..

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but let me know if you find anything out...

BTW I've preregistered. (Guess it helps to answer the original question [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])
Old 05-18-2005, 07:09 PM

you can preregister w/out prepaying?
Old 05-18-2005, 07:41 PM

uhhh... I think so, but I'm not quite sure. Perhaps I should just call them and find out what the hell is up... nah that'd require work [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I went to the site and gave them my information. They sent me a PDF file with a reg # and instructions for prepaying. Somewhere around there it says that the seat is not guaranteed without paying first. Their payment methods are a mailed cashier's check (ugh), wire transfer, or pay in person.

I figured I'd be okay since I plan to pay 2 days before, but there are no guarantees.

[EDIT] BTW PM me if you want a to see what the PDF File looks like.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:45 PM

I've been wondering about this as well as I want to play in the $1500 tourney on June 3rd. However the Harrah's website for pre-registering doesn't allow for the possibility you're outside the US. Good job guys! I mean no-one from any other country ever enters do they?

I'm reluctant to commit a large sum to the exciting world of international bank wires as I expect my bank would manage to screw up in some way as they manage to do so with numerous more mundane transactions.

So I suppose I just turn up in person a couple of days before. Do you just pay at the cage in the Rio or is there a poker-specific place to enter?
Old 05-18-2005, 07:57 PM

Most of the time you just pay at the cage if it's pre-tourney day. Usually tourney day there will be some sort of setup where you can register/pay/get table assignments.

I'm not sure how they will handle the WSOP this year though.. It's going to be quite chaotic on the 3rd I assume...
Old 05-18-2005, 11:26 PM

haven't looked at the site so I don't know what the payment procedures are.

Some thoughts though.

- the lines to register AT the tourney are likely to be VERY long. and you don't know if it will sell-out in advance or not.

- i believe the opening tourney at the WPO in Tunica in January (3 weeks of tourneys) for $500 got 1400 players.
If that event can get 1400 then certainly a $1500 event at the WSOP can get 2200 players.

- if you are going to play in any of these prelim events head over to pokerstars and check out what you can enter through them.

It should be fairly simple to find someone whom you can buy a bunch of W$ off of (there's a guy named cashmanbrian who has a web-site and a couple of others).

For the June 3 or June 4 $1500 events for example (both available through Stars):

Buy $1500 in W$ from cashmanbrian or somebody for $1350 or $1400 or whatever the rate is.
You save maybe $100 on the EF and Stars takes care of the entry for you.
The only catch is that you have to wear the pokerstars shirt they give you at the tourney.

Transactions such as these are very safe as they take place through Stars support.
If I was forking over my own cash for an event or two this is definitely how I would go about it.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:35 PM

You can pre-regisgter on the website for the world series, but pre-registering does not guarantee you a seat until you pay. Many people on this site have pre-paid.
Gavin posted in another thread that no event other than the main event had more than 1000 people.
The smaller events are reportedly capped at 2000.
The Hendon Mob website as of last Friday (13th) reported a conversation with an assistent tournament director that claimed they expected many of the smaller events to sell out.
So make of that what you will.
I am playing in the 2k NL tournament on the 10th and will be in Vegas this weekend for a bachelor party.
I plan on registering for that event then, and I will inquire myself about the predicted number of players.
Hope this helps.
-SC
Old 05-19-2005, 12:28 AM

Man sometimes brilliant solutions are so simple.

Thanks man.