Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2005, 03:30 AM

Default bottom two

2/4 nl 6max Party
hero down from 400 to about $175 after a killer previous hand, limp 45o from the BB in a pot with 4 others.
flop 456,
check check check check and button bets out 20. This is pretty standard for him and can represent anything due to position.
Hero reraises to 60, all fold to the button who rereraises to allin (hero is covered). Is this an easy fold or are we allin? The table's not particularly skilled.

p.s. for those of you who are bored in the wee hours of the morning, i offer this:
http://www.collegehumor.com/?movie_id=149151
Old 05-18-2005, 03:41 AM

Default Re: bottom two

you have to call there. YOu have two pairs man.. can'd fold.

Call. I wouldn't fold two pair here.

YOu video just MADE MY DAY.. AWESOME =)
Old 05-18-2005, 04:35 AM

The hands you're beating here are 76 and an overpair. This is probably a math problem or pokerstove or one of those programs.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:45 AM

The good: it's only 130 more.

The bad: you're often behind (87, 66, 55, 44), and often not far ahead (76, 77, 88.)

I would call, there's no point to having a short stack if you let people push you off hands.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:46 PM

Using the hands creedofhubris gave, and assuming they are as likely to occur as the number of ways they can be dealt, taking a weighted average of the twodimes results makes you just better than 1 in 3 to win. The pot is laying better than 2 to 1. Just this info would make it close to a toss up. However, when you throw in the chance he's on a bluff, it pushes it to a clear call.

An interesting question is if calling might be better than raising on the flop. My gut tells me your way of playing is better, even though he gets to put you all in and put you under pressure. An advantage of calling is if it goes check pot on the turn, then you get to put him all-in instead of him doing it to you. If your stack were a bit bigger, this option becomes more appealing. Assuming a blank hits, you get to put your opponent all-in at a time when your hand is a big favorite against 76 or 77 (almost 2 to 1) as opposed to just being a coin flip, as it is on the flop.