Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2005, 09:11 PM

Default Online timing tells

Last night I was playing in a 5-handed game or so and raised KQs in the CO. A pretty aggressive player 3-bet on the Button and I think one other person called.

The flop was ATx with a backdoor flush draw, I checked and called the Button's bet, the third player folded.

The turn was a blank. I checked and the other player hesitated in a way that I thought indicated weakness and then bet. I called.

The river was a Q I checked and my opponent checked behind and MHWG.

Now, I particularly remember this hand because Chris Daddy Cool was sitting at the table at the time and called me a fish afterward. ;-) But I called the turn specifically because of the timing tell and it got me to thinking that I probably do this sort of thing all the time.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:16 PM

Default Re: Online timing tells

just realize which opps are 6-tabling because, obviously, this tell i null against them....
Old 05-17-2005, 09:33 PM

I know people on this board like to completely write off any type of timing tells because the player could be taking a dump, or yelling at his wife for not bringing him another beer, but I personally think there is a little merit to some of these. The thing is, even live, tells are for the most part very inaccurate. You can never trust that a shaking hand is a big hand or a bluff, that apparent strength may or may not be weakness, ect. I think you factor these things in to make your decisions rather than relying on them solely.

One thing I see a lot that I think can be used to factor in your decision is the hesitaion when a person is calling. I usually only see this with fishier or laggier players that hesiate for a real long time on a call on a somewhat scary board. More often than not, I've noticed this to be a sign that the player often has a strong hand. I wouldn't ditch a decent holding, but I might not go crazy either.

I'm sure I'll get ridiculed for suggesting that an "online" tell can exist, but thats my two cents.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing I see a lot that I think can be used to factor in your decision is the hesitaion when a person is calling. I usually only see this with fishier or laggier players that hesiate for a real long time on a call on a somewhat scary board. More often than not, I've noticed this to be a sign that the player often has a strong hand. I wouldn't ditch a decent holding, but I might not go crazy either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally speaking, I think a long, deliberate pause is likely to be a sign of strength, whereas a shorter "thoughtful" pause can indicate weakness.

The exception to the above IMO is when you're in position and were the aggressor on the previous street, and the opponent pauses deliberately before checking it to you. Very often this is a sign that an opponent wants a free card/showdown and you should bet somewhat more liberally than usual.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:49 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

something I'll hesitate before I bet because I'm genuinely not sure what to do, so I'm sure there's some truth to this, but as Victor said, it's probably hard to notice against me because I pause routinely because of multitabling. still, not many people are multitabling and very few loose players do, so you have a good idea of who's multitabling and who's hesitating.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
something I'll hesitate before I bet because I'm genuinely not sure what to do, so I'm sure there's some truth to this, but as Victor said, it's probably hard to notice against me because I pause routinely because of multitabling. still, not many people are multitabling and very few loose players do, so you have a good idea of who's multitabling and who's hesitating.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really agree with this, and obvously none of this stuff is anywhere near foolproof, but I think it helps push a decision one way or another sometimes. It just seems like whenever anyone brings up any kind of tell that its automaticall dismissed. I think along w/ stats and player reads it sometimes should be considered in the play of a hand.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Generally speaking, I think a long, deliberate pause is likely to be a sign of strength, whereas a shorter "thoughtful" pause can indicate weakness.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sometimes use this with success purposefully trying to look weak. Lets say I raise PF and you call me. I flop a set in position and you CR me on the flop. I will count to 3 and then squeeze the mouse to call. Just long enough to look like I am debating a fold but not too long as that looks strong. Then you bet the turn and I pop it.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I sometimes use this with success purposefully trying to look weak. Lets say I raise PF and you call me. I flop a set in position and you CR me on the flop. I will count to 3 and then squeeze the mouse to call. Just long enough to look like I am debating a fold but not too long as that looks strong. Then you bet the turn and I pop it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's safe to say the majority of the Party population is not thinking like this.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think it's safe to say the majority of the Party population is not thinking like this.

[/ QUOTE ]pretty sure you are wrong. anybody who regularly plays poker on the internet and does not use timing tells (and reverse tells) is really really effing stupid.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:42 PM

this recently happened to me during a 30/60 hand, he raied, i 3bet AKo, he capped... flop ragged, he bet i called, turn rag... and he thoguht for 4 seconds before betting, and i decided then i would call him down. he showed AQ, and i took it.

i find that this also means somsone has flopped a monster.

like if they 3 bet your raise pf, the flop is AK5, and they hesistate for like 2 seconds before betting, and at showodwn it is always AA, KK, or AK

or it's just that they dropped a wheat thin on the ground and went ot pick it up while the flop was coming out, you can't really judge them too much