Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2005, 04:51 PM

Default I should be calling here shoudnt I ?

$50 MTT on Stars, I have 5.5K, 2nd biggest stack on the table and good for 17th of 120 plyrs. BB 150 SB 75.

I raise in MP2 to 450 with A5d, folded to BB who has just lost half his stack calling 2 all ins with 44!! He mini raises and I call.

flop 3 7 T with 2 diamonds BB pushes.Pot is now 4100,its costing me 2400 to call.

Results : <font color="white"> he had QQ and I dont improve. </font>

Question 1 : Is this as easy a call as I thought it was?

Question 2 : Should I be raising with A5s in MP? I would have laid it down to a proper re-raise but when he mini raises I'm calling everytime.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:54 PM

Default Re: I should be calling here shoudnt I ?

You play goot. Ni han.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:00 PM

i dunno... that min 3-bet is AA so often...

that said, i think i still call. you've probably got 12 outs if you're behind, and there's some chance you're not. you also have back door straight outs.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:12 PM

Easy call.

Pot is laying 4100:2400 ~1.7:1.
If villain has AA your getting enough to justify the call (~38%). But if villain has even KK your 45% here. As the hand went down you were 54% favorite.

Shorty will make this kind of stop and go with small pr. It might have worked against you if you didnt have the flush draw.

A5suited is a an agressive hand to be 3XBB opening in mid position. If you get called your going to be in trouble if you pr your ace with such a weak kicker. If you pr your five there's likely to be a card higher than 5 on the board so its going to be hard to bet, or defend a bet. If you flop a str8 draw its going to be a gutshot to the "idiot" end of the str8. You can't expect to flop a flush draw, its a bonus, but the hand should be playable by itself.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:19 PM

I'm still undecided [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

This seems to be one of those +EV hands that everyone advocates calling with,I still cant get past the fact I'm behind and semi-crippled if I dont improve.

That said I would be much happier being Tarzan rather than Jane here. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-18-2005, 12:34 PM

A5s is a tough hand to open with if you are played back at. When
I am in an aggressive frame I would rather open up with two cards which can't hurt me, ie. 87 etc. I'll raise with subpar hands only if I think there is a real good chance I can pick up the blinds, otherwise I wait. Having said that I'll call a miniraise with any two cards. On the flop I instacall the push. If your Ace is an out you are almost
even money.

Bruce
Old 05-18-2005, 12:52 PM

i never would have raised preflop, but i am calling the allin, not super happy about it, but calling it. Either way is fine there as you are in a bad spot.