Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2005, 11:59 AM

Default I sorta played this one weird against a weird player

online 3-6NL SH, villain limps alot and is then ultra-aggressive postflop, bluffs more than he should. I am currently running really bad so I've tightened up a little and I'm sure he knows this. The game is full but for 10 hands or so we were 5 handed before the seats got filled up again.

I($586) open in the CO to $16 with QJo, villain($330) calls.

flop is K J 10r. He bets $8, I raise to $25, he calls.

turn J, he bets $21, I raise to $90, he insta-pushes. I know he's a perpetual bluffer/LAG but...UGH.

I think there are various arguments to play this hand several ways, so, take your pick I guess.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:58 PM

Default Re: I sorta played this one weird against a weird player

Among other things, I absolutely hate this raise on the flop. If Villain is betting the flop with nothing but air, there is no need to raise. There is zero chance that Villain will fold a hand that is ahead of you, and little chance that he will call with a hand that is behind you. Moreover, you don't stand to make much with your draw if it hits, so the deception value of your semi-bluff raise is minimal.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:12 PM

I'd call the turn, and probably the river if he keeps betting small and you don't improve. I don't see much value in the raise, you're letting him off cheap if you have him beat, and you probably don't. Don't call the push, that would be real , bad. He has a full house, or at the minimum the straight.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Among other things, I absolutely hate this raise on the flop. If Villain is betting the flop with nothing but air, there is no need to raise. There is zero chance that Villain will fold a hand that is ahead of you, and little chance that he will call with a hand that is behind you. Moreover, you don't stand to make much with your draw if it hits, so the deception value of your semi-bluff raise is minimal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice post.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:14 PM

Why are you giving a LAG bluffer credit for a boat/straight. This is a strange line to take with a flopped straight or two pair/set. I think there is a good chance he has at best a worse jack. I actually like the turn raise, since you raised on the flop it is hard for him to put you on a jack. I am calling here especially getting over 2-1 on my money.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:24 PM

I've got no problem with any of your play in this hand, and I would call the turn all-in.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:05 PM

ok.

I just think it's way too much aggression, I mean, lagginess is fine and all but this is a board that make hands bigger than trips pretty often. Maybe this opponent is that agg tho.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:16 PM

Creed,

I really respect your opinion. Can you explain why you like the flop raise? I really hate it.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:29 PM

I am not creed but I can give you a couple of reason's why a flop raise is good.

1. He takes control of the pot.

2. He is free rolling against many Qx hands that may want to draw to the straight.

3. Oftentimes he will be able to check behind on the turn, if unimproved, drawing to the nuts.

4. Playing shorthanded it is important to raise flops with a wide range of hands, so that you will be paid off in the future on your big hands.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not creed but I can give you a couple of reason's why a flop raise is good.

1. He takes control of the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I need to understand why it is helpful to take control of the pot here. This statement sort of begs the question.

[ QUOTE ]
2. He is free rolling against many Qx hands that may want to draw to the straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it. I know that Villain is LAG, but is he LAG enough to play something as ragged as Q6. I guess that QT is a possibility, but so is Q9.

[ QUOTE ]
3. Oftentimes he will be able to check behind on the turn, if unimproved, drawing to the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this guy is that LAG, I don't think that he will check a hand that beats Hero (i.e. top pair) if the turn comes a brick.

[ QUOTE ]
4. Playing shorthanded it is important to raise flops with a wide range of hands, so that you will be paid off in the future on your big hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I generally find that people get wed to top pair much more in 6-max than full ring, regardless of what my image is.