Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2005, 10:37 AM

Default The thing about multitabling...

I'm posting this to see if I'm missing something in my multitabling strategy or stat reads.

We all love to have our stats on our opponents; however, I feel like they're inadequate in really giving info on the POSTFLOP tendencies of the opponents (outside of the aggression factor - and that may be inadequate as well as its an accumlative number and there may be tendencies on a particular street.)

I'm noticing more and more how important it is to understand opponent's postflop play in order to make good decisions. Feeney said (Yeah, you're going to see that for a while) "When you are not playing hands there's more information available to you then you could possibly hope to absorb."

Playing 4+ tables (and I've been considering going back to 8 now), I don't currently know of a way to absorb this information as I'm off to other tables after I press the fold button PF at a table.

My question to those like Bob T playing 12+ tables or anyone else:

Are you absorbing this info? Or is it that the amount of money you're making just playing your B game at a large # of tables, make up for the bets that you would gain playing your A game at 1 or 2 tables?

I cannot say that when I play 4+ tables I'm playing my A game because I know I'm not absorbing the info available when I'm not in the hand and sometimes even when I am in the hand.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:41 AM

Default Re: The thing about multitabling...

[ QUOTE ]
Or is it that the amount of money you're making just playing your B game at a large # of tables, make up for the bets that you would gain playing your A game at 1 or 2 tables?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably this is right, but i'm only playing 3-4 tables. I usu 1-2 table when I jump up, then get used to it for a while and add 2 more. There's more money in playing my A- game at 4 than my A+ game at 1-2.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:45 AM

The difference between 3-4 and 1-2 I think is much smaller. I'm considering moving back to 8 tables as I always used to do, until I decided to go down to 3-4 a couple months ago (which was a great thing for me, and I even spent time playing 1-2 tables).
Old 05-17-2005, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The difference between 3-4 and 1-2 I think is much smaller. I'm considering moving back to 8 tables as I always used to do, until I decided to go down to 3-4 a couple months ago (which was a great thing for me, and I even spent time playing 1-2 tables).

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. You having some mid-life-poker crisis? Very abstract posts this morning. Snap out of it, have a beer, love a little.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Agreed. You having some mid-life-poker crisis? Very abstract posts this morning. Snap out of it, have a beer, love a little.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol! Nice!

A large % of my posts I originate are abstract instead of hands....it's just the way I learn and think.

Me - with a beer - I can only imagine would be very bad news. This is no joke - I'VE NEVER TRIED A BEER! I have enough trouble controlling myself without anything outside influence!
Old 05-17-2005, 10:56 AM

Most seem to say the cumulative big bets simply make up for less than optimal play.

I think there is very good way of aiding in your analysis of post flop play while multi-tableing. A while ago a post was made, i belive in the gneral forum, about a players method of taking notes. It was exhaustive. He would literally go over every hand played in a session, and make very detailed notes about post flop play for EVERY player he had information on. He would end up having a incredibly specific informmation on their post flop play. This allowed him to multi table and make much better decisions than he would have otherwise.

I will search for the thread and post a link if I can find it. His system, though exhaustive, seemed remarkable for improving play while multi-tableing....
Old 05-17-2005, 10:56 AM

Yikes. Anyhoo, I liked the "Countering a Good Hand Reader" section of Feeney's book. That was about as much of it as I took with me...
Old 05-17-2005, 11:01 AM

Hey! There's a thought! I wonder how much time it would take to go over all those hands though and take notes...thant in itself could be -EV if you consider you could be playing during that time....especially if your play time is limited as mine is....a great thought.

I look forward to that link if you can find the one you're thinking of.

I try taking notes, but nothing like I should. I've only come across a player I've taken notes on like 1 or 2 times....there's just sooo many players at party and they come and go. The only ones I have good info on are the TAGs that are playing all the time.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:03 AM

I wonder if there are any other worthwhile post-flop oriented stats that we could display with PV? I know adding in "Went to Showdown" has been useful for me.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:07 AM

This is another thing that I was hoping to get out of this post. What the combination of postflop stats that someone is using to make decisions...

WTSD, W$SD seem like they make some sense to see if someone's calling with crap.

PokerEdge does offer some stats that I've not seen how to get in PT. Things like:

% SDs won if bet, % won if raised , etc. They also have that on every street as well. The challenge is getting to the info in a decent amount of time when playing 4+ tables. They're supposedly making an upgrade, so I'm hoping that will be one of their changes.