Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2005, 09:28 AM

Default Any WINNING players?

Ever feel the need to take a step back and stop playing?

How long of a break did you take?

I understand that someone who has lost over and over and is showing no signs of improvement should step away. But what about a player that has had success.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:45 AM

Default Re: Any WINNING players?

There have been times when I felt like I wasn't playing well and I needed a break. To win consistently, it takes a great deal of concentration, and there have been times when I just didn't feel up to it. I've never stepped away for more than about a week, but that is just me. If you don't feel "right" at the tables, get away. Come back when you want to be there and can give the level of effort and concentration necessary to play your best. Anything less is a waste of time and money.

Good luck,

Fitz
Old 05-17-2005, 09:52 AM

I set a 30BB stoploss for each session. If I hit that, I turn off the computer and don't return for 24 hours...
Old 05-17-2005, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I set a 30BB stoploss for each session. If I hit that, I turn off the computer and don't return for 24 hours...

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, with a policy like that it would have taken forever to reach my 400BB downswing. I'm glad I don't have a stop-loss policy.

Krishan
Old 05-17-2005, 10:18 AM

Last year I took a break for a month. I didn't play during that time, but I did read a little bit. It was just what I needed to recharge my batteries, and I'm taking another month off in June this year.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:20 AM

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...14&fpart=1

What I've realized is that I am a winning player, WHEN I WANT TO BE. What I mean by that is that sometimes, I just don't don't feel like putting in the effort/concetration level that is necessary to play the game well.

Consequently, my game suffers.

What I've decided is that I play TOO MUCH and need to find the optimum level of playing time per week where I can maintain my A game.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:23 AM

If I won the WSOP, I'd quite the game for 6 months to a year. I'd come back only in a very limited fashion.

Stu
Old 05-17-2005, 10:27 AM

Occasionally, I feel the need to take a break. Usually it is 2 or 3 days.
Last year I took a month off (June).
This year I've already taken 3 consecutive weeks off.

I always have a better attitude and think better after a break.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:56 AM

I've played nearly every day since the middle of January when I decided to take the game seriously again. Considering the limits I play at currently I'm doing really well if you take bonuses into account.

I have bonuses stacked up waiting to be cleared and it's so lucrative that I almost always want to play. Moreso because my game is improving exponentially right now.

Sunday night I felt like I should work on my Paradise bonus but when I sat down in my chair with the stereo on I just decided to not play and it worked. When I sat down to play yesterday evening having taken the day off the game allowed me to return somewhat refreshed.

This is in the context of having a career in science and loving what I do for work. Poker is recreation but every now and then, if you play as much as I do in my free time, you need a break if you take the game seriously.

I love the game and I'm finally convinced that I'm a winning player which reinforces that (I wouldn't love the game, nor would I play if I were a net loser).

I have to go to a conference next week and I'm conflicted as to whether I should bring the work laptop and not play, or bring the poker laptop and not work.

I'm going to San Diego where they have cardrooms so maybe I'll play live. That would be weird.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO this is a VERY poor system/rule. Are you multitabling? I assume so, and in that case a 30BB downswing is fairly common.