Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2005, 07:22 AM

Default What to Major in for the next five years.

This is probably better posted in the General poker forum but I regard the folk here as the best and I (sometimes) get some really useful advice here.

My question concerns what poker variant to Major in? My requirement is, where am I going to get the biggest edge, with reasonable variance, within my skill limitation? I’ve been playing just over a year and am seriously break even at PP50 6 max NLHE, PP50+5 SnG and PP25 Pot limit Omaha. Just to be break even is great. It means I’m one of the top 10% to 2% depending where you get your statistics. It’s ‘five’ more years before I plan to make a living playing poker by then I hope to be expert (and tilt less) in whatever my Major is. This seems quite achievable.

So…

SnG – On the face of it anybody playing sound SnG strategy has a big edge over somebody who doesn’t. However seems to me at a typical 50+5, six or seven will be playing at least something like the standard winning strategy. I don’t think you can make bucket loads of money here. Also variance is big in SnG with some supposedly good players reporting losing streaks lasting over a 1000 games. I know plenty of 2+2ers do make a reasonable living with SnG but they must play a shed load of games per day.

MTT – Huge variance not really suitable for paying the Community Charge (City taxes to you).

Omaha – I’m still fairly new to this game. That I became break even so quickly says a lot about it. It’s much more probabilities and less people the Hold’em. I don’t think it would be that hard to be winner at this game but I'm not convinced you could ever obtain a big edge.

Limit Hold’em – Never played it but again it’s clearly more probabilities than people with consequently less edge.

NLHE – Full ring, now your talking , however they is something even better…

NLHE 6 max – Surely, if you can hack it, this is where the pot of gold lies?

Anything else - Such as stud, Omaha hi/lo?

Whatever becomes my major, will never be my exclusive game. I hope to explore other poker variants.

Wife and two cats to feed.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:29 AM

Default Re: What to Major in for the next five years.

Play which ever game that you ENJOY playing, thats the most important thing, to have fun. Except for thoes GRAND POBAHS out there this is my advice to y´all.

Grand Pobahs tend to get stuck in some work aholic manner that is not suited for anyone, not even for the pobahs them self.

Conclusion, Go for what you enjoy playing most, it´s alot easier playing a game you like rather then one you dont.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:45 AM

There's certainly a lot to be said for that.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:56 AM

Still some good advice. If you actually plan to make a living on it, I PROMISE you you'll get tired of it from time to time. Play a game you really like decreases that likeliness.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:59 PM

Well, you pretty much said it yourself. Shorthanded NLHE cash games are the most profitable, but also require the most skill and aggression. You need the correct temperament to play these games successfully; I think many personality types are simply not suited to this game.

My personal plan is to continue playing alot of NLHE shorthanded cash games, and dabble in tournaments. I generally play tournaments for fun; they are much less stress than cash games. I personally enjoy NL HE cash games the most, probably because I simply am not a grinder.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just to be break even is great. It means I’m one of the top 10% to 2% depending where you get your statistics.

[/ QUOTE ]

A couple questions...
Why does this mean you are one of the top 2-10%??
If you consider breaking even "great", how are you gonna make a livinng at this?

To answer your question I would say NL hold'em ring and multi-table tourneys.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Play which ever game that you ENJOY playing, thats the most important thing, to have fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

You're definatly not ready for the 55's if you think there are 6-7 people at the same skill level. Play the 33's and build some roll. If its been one year try moving up in NL if you're roll allows.

I had the same question for a 'major'. I got a response with a link to search. Trolls.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:28 PM

I think his point was to play the form of poker that was the most fun, not the stakes that was the most fun.

I absolutely agree with this point.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:28 PM

I think what he is saying is that only 2-10% of poker players are profitable in the long run. I think he's saying he's break even now and believes that he can turn a profit some time in the future.

To the OP: While your goal of tilting less seems admirable, it is probably alot more difficult than you seem think. And in many ways it becomes harder as you play more and more poker and endure long losing streaks. The ability to tilt less may very well be the single most important factor in determining whether you will be a long term winner.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wife and two cats to feed.

[/ QUOTE ]

1-800-GAMBLER [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]