Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2002, 04:26 AM

Default Never playing A-rag off??

I almost never play an ace-rag from any position under any circumstances. The only time I ever play with it is when I'm heads-up, and then I raise about 75% of the time. But I will throw away hands such as A7o and down even at a 3-handed table.

I like to play NL hands that make for easy post-flop decisions. IMO, these hands don't do that.

I'm posting this, however, to get y'all's opinion on this matter. Am I being too conservative with these hands?

-Marlow
[img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2002, 10:22 AM

Default Re: Never playing A-rag off??

Good. Ace - rag is probably one of the worst hands you could have offsuit that is. Suited can be played after a couple of limpers with good position in NL. I sometimes play ace-rag in the Sb for half a bet because if u flop trips with the rag u have an ace kicker if u hit two pair which is what i'm looking for and have good implied odds then u can win a huge pot of someidiot who might pay u off with an ace with a bigger kicker etc.

-MJ
Old 12-04-2002, 05:02 PM

The more short-handed the table gets, the more tough decisions you will have to make on the flop, regardless of your holding. Betting, calling, and raising with any pair (top, second, or bottom) or no pair become more necessary, so if you're giving up an ace-high you might be losing some equity. It's my personal opinion that you're giving up some value by not playing A7o in a three-handed game--if only because you're not picking up the smaller pots with as much confidence as you would otherwise.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

I almost never play an ace-rag from any position under any circumstances. The only time I ever play with it is when I'm heads-up, and then I raise about 75% of the time. But I will throw away hands such as A7o and down even at a 3-handed table.

I like to play NL hands that make for easy post-flop decisions. IMO, these hands don't do that.

I'm posting this, however, to get y'all's opinion on this matter. Am I being too conservative with these hands?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-04-2002, 05:17 PM

In my opinion you cant give up A-rag in a three handed game. Even though its a marginal, any hand including an ace is powerful in two or three handed play. If you like it head up then you should play it three handed IMO. Also, there is no law agaist hitting your ace and folding anyway in some situations.