Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2005, 01:29 PM

Default Defending my BB. I think I did this right.

One of the reasons I got run out of the Party 5/10 6-Max game was my blind play. I normally play 2/4 or 3/6 now but I saw a juicy 5/10 full game going this morning so I decided to jump in.

Posted this here in HUSH because these are heads-up blind defenses and I like this forum best anyway [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Villain is same in both hands with 23/7/1 and a 21 "Att. to Steal" stat (which I read as middle of the road).

He is in the SB on both hands and these two hands are from consecutive orbits.

Did I do g00t?

---------------
Folded to SB, he raises, I hold 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I re-raise and SB calls.

Flop comes K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB checks, I bet, SB folds.

--------------
Next orbit, folded around to SB who raises. I hold A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and re-raise, SB calls.

Flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB checks, I bet, SB calls.

Turn is T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], SB bets, I call.

River is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], SB bets and I raise. SB thinks for about 15 seconds and folds.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Defending my BB. I think I did this right.

[ QUOTE ]
a 21 "Att. to Steal" stat (which I read as middle of the road).

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I think that is quite low, especially for someone with such Taggish stats otherwise (although his PFR is quite low as well, which makes sense).

Why raise the river in hand two? I would just call.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a 21 "Att. to Steal" stat (which I read as middle of the road).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually I think that is quite low

[/ QUOTE ]

It may be a bit low. I felt sure that these were steal attempts at the time though.

[ QUOTE ]
Why raise the river in hand two? I would just call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I raised the river because the 6 paired the board. I was afraid I was outkicked so I thought since it looked like I was an aggressive defender I could have "anything" including a 6 in my hand. I thought there was a pretty good chance I needed him to fold and since he looked like a "thinking player" he might lay it down.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought there was a pretty good chance I needed him to fold and since he looked like a "thinking player" he might lay it down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you consider that if your hunch was correct, and that you weren't ahead, he has two pair, aces-up, and is absolutely never ever folding?

This river raise is average, made worse by the premise supplied.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I raised the river because the 6 paired the board. I was afraid I was outkicked so I thought since it looked like I was an aggressive defender I could have "anything" including a 6 in my hand. I thought there was a pretty good chance I needed him to fold and since he looked like a "thinking player" he might lay it down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that given his line you are very likely ahead of him. I don't think you are going to push him off his hand when he's ahead, although if you have the right table image and he's really that weak I suppose it is possible.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Next orbit, folded around to SB who raises. I hold A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and re-raise, SB calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

is this SOP?
Old 05-16-2005, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

is this SOP?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely.

Krishan
Old 05-16-2005, 03:29 PM

I think I prefer raising the turn in the last hand. Don't understand what raising the river gets you.

Though given the action, i.e., he'll bet the river even with a missed draw or his pair of tens -- calling the turn is fine. Only reason for raising the turn here would be to get a pair of tens to pay an extra bet, or make a draw pay an extra bet here instead of allowing him to check/fold the river.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:34 PM

Interestingly, watching the Heads-up Championship on NBC has really helped me with my heads-up blind play and stealing. You don't get to see the real poker (meta game strategy) with the editing they do but you do see how almost any hand has a decent chance as long as you aren't dominated or holding an underpair.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:37 PM

I don't like the river raise in hand 2.