Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2005, 01:05 PM

Default 6 Max Strategy - does it exist?

I’m on holiday from 50 dollar NLHE SnG, spending my vacation learning more about low limit 6 Max NLHE.

Were as SnGs have a definite strategy that can be easily summed up in less then a side of A4 things are very different re 6 max. I’m thinking, there are as many winning 6 max strategies as there are winning players.
The general strategy works so well in SnG I look for one in other forms of poker, maybe the concept of a general strategy just don’t really apply in 6 max, I don’t know.

Personally I play two games:
Lurking in the long grass – I’m playing pretty tight hoping to hit good values to take down any loose/over aggressive players.

Battle Poker – I’m contesting many pots trying to outplay my opponents especially in a raised pot. A hard act that often ends in tears. This would be the road to riches if I was a better player.

I usually end most session in Battle Poker mode and on full tilt. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

What do you think?
Old 05-16-2005, 01:39 PM

Default Re: 6 Max Strategy - does it exist?

Of your two games, the Long Gras strategy is surely the best. At low limits, especially short handed, it is almost impossible to outplay your opponents since there are too many players who will showdown to the river with just about anything.

The following works for me in those games ... Settle for small pots with the premium hands, and try to make monsters with semi-rubbish hands... See as many cheap flops as you can with hands like (my personal favourites ) J9 and T8. If you don´t hit those hands, putting them away is so simple and hardly cost you anything.. But if you do hit, you got such a well-hidden killer and are pretty likely to eat up some stacks.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:19 PM

Default Re: 6 Max Strategy - does it exist?

[ QUOTE ]
it is almost impossible to outplay your opponents since there are too many players who will showdown to the river with just about anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's an uphill battle yes.

I'm prepared to believe the long grass plan is best but my heart isn't there. Maybe I should not pass GO and move directly to 200 or something.