Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2002, 12:14 AM

Default Satellite at the Taj, Call the floorman!!

Sunday morning I buy into a 65 dollar single table satellite at the Taj. It is NL HE starting with T300. It gets to round 3 and there are still 8 ppl. I have apx. T400 and post 50 on the BB. short stacked MP moves all-in for 115 I look down and see A3o off I look back up at the MP and looks very very weak(A hunch that won't kill me if I'm wrong) and yell out I CALL! As I'm reaching for T65 the dealer MUCKS my hand(I was sitting in seat 10). The cards hit the muck but we,over half the table, can identify my two cards. What happens next? Result to follow.

Old 12-02-2002, 12:58 AM

Default Re: Satellite at the Taj, Call the floorman!! Results

My had was declared Dead so there was no call and MP took down my blinds.
Old 12-02-2002, 11:37 AM

Default Re: Satellite at the Taj, Call the floorman!!

Assuming your cards were protected then I would whine a lot. But if they are not protected then you are probably screwed.

Ken Poklitar
Old 12-02-2002, 11:53 AM

The decision was probably correct. You state half the table can identify which cards are yours, which implies the other half isn't so sure. If there is any doubt, then the hand should be declared dead.

My real concern in your shoes is collusion by the dealer. I'd be thinking the raiser is a buddy of the dealer, and the dealer mucked my hand intentionally to save his buddy the risk of going broke. I would certainly talk to the floorman about the situation later, and make sure that he is suspicious of that dealer as well. Plus, the floorman might know that the two guys are friends.

In any event, you should probably buy a big fossil from me, and use it to protect your cards. There is absolutely no way my hand will ever be mucked by accident, as the fossil I use is simply too big and heavy to permit it.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 12-02-2002, 06:53 PM

I know it was partly my fault. I didn't have my cards protected.

Interesting side note: Someone bet someone else at the table that if it was a ring game my cards would of been live.

The other person said "I don't bet money, I'll bet you my pinky finger that you are incorrect"

The other person call the floorman back over and the floorman said that in a ring game that my cards would of been live. This is a rule that is in effect at the Taj and no way else that he knew of.

At least I only lost 65 bucks on the satellite. I came home with all 10 fingers in tack.
Old 12-03-2002, 05:48 PM

Default Nepa, how are the Taj Satellites?

Now that you've been there, what is the set-up like? Are they running often? Is there a good selection of satellites to choose from? What is the structure(s) like/starting chips etc, etc. (You started out with 300 chips; is that for all of their satellites or are there different set-ups). I'l be heading out Thursday (so long as it doesn't snow) and have never played at the Taj's big event and would appreciate any info/comments you have.
Old 12-03-2002, 08:12 PM

Default Re: Nepa, how are the Taj Satellites?

I was at the Taj from Saturday afternoon till Sunday morning and I heard satellites starting about every 15-30 min.

They also had super satellites starting every 1-2 hours, I believe that the super satellites only run during the weekend.

The setup was:
NL HE
300 chips to start
blinds increasing every 15 min.
I forget the amt that the blinds increased but it was very fast(ex. 10,15 25,50 50,100 something down this line.)
Be really to throw chips with both hands!!!!
I would guess that most of the satellites end by round 5 or 6, I only made it to round 4 with 5 ppl left.

I hope that covers it. Good luck!

P.S. They also had Limit HE, Stud but I'm not sure if they had any omaha going.
P.S.S. Lotta pros playing HE pick your tables carefully or play Omaha H/L, I played omaha H/L the whole time there and it was very profitible.
Old 12-03-2002, 10:27 PM

Hi Greg,

I am a TAJ regular and during the satellites, the dealers assigned are predominantly the seasoned and better ones, so collusion although possible seems remote to me. Coincidentally, an almost identical incident occurred in my satellite game (which I [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] won) the night before also in the $65 buy-in, where the player in seat 10 who posted the big blind called an all-in bet. The dealer who is a good one accidentally swiped his cards. The cards were identifiable but hit the muck. The floor's ruling was the hand was dead but the player losses only his big blind bet.
Old 12-03-2002, 10:39 PM

Default Re: Wait A Minute!

Is it possible we're talking about the same game? It started close to 12 midnight that's why I said Saturday and yours happened on Sunday AM. If that is the case, then I can say to the Fossil Man that definitely and conclusively that there was no collusion whatsoever between the dealer and the other player who is from Ct and was there only for the tourney. The dealer is Moshe and he does not tolerate any hanky panky in his games.
Old 12-03-2002, 10:55 PM

What seat # were you in? Were you in seat 9? That's who I was guessing won the satellite.

P.S. I didn't think that the dealer was cheating. It was my fault for not protecting my cards.

P.S.S. I was wearing a blue Gap sweatshirt.