Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2005, 03:56 PM

Default Newsweek on crack?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapc...eut/index.html

How does one FLUSH a book down a toilet?

Why did they report this?

Why did CNN report this report?

Has the US media gone INSANE?

...discuss...

...please...

>TW<
Old 05-14-2005, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Newsweek on crack?

What's the big deal? They're REPORTING that Muslims are upset. Is that accurate? Yes. Are they ADVOCATING that we apologize. No. It's just a friggin story.

It's pretty easy to flush it...just tear it page by page and use it for the paper.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:10 PM

I don't get it. Are you trying to suggest that the U.S. media should not report the misbehaviour of its troops?
Old 05-14-2005, 04:17 PM

Who cares what they did to the Koran? It's just a book, and it has a lot of stupid stuff in it. If they hurt a person or something then it's a different story, but if this serves the same purpose without doing harm then I think they should flush more Korans down the toilet.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who cares what they did to the Koran? It's just a book, and it has a lot of stupid stuff in it. If they hurt a person or something then it's a different story, but if this serves the same purpose without doing harm then I think they should flush more Korans down the toilet.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is this ignorance which is the source of much of this conflict.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:43 PM

Default Gank

[ QUOTE ]
Who cares what they did to the Koran? It's just a book. If they hurt a person or something then it's a different story. I think they should flush more Korans down the toilet.

[/ QUOTE ]

From a western, non-Muslim person such sentiments are to be expected : A man's life is worth more than a book. Completely agree.

However, you seem not to understand the wider implications here. The anti-American forces are about to score a major propaganda and psy-war coup.

Whether the story is true or not is getting to be irrelevant, fast. Let's see how this plays out.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:56 PM

My complaint is the timing, actually.

When NOTHING positive can come from reporting something, it doesn't need to come out NOW.

Also, some things in time of turmoil are better left unsaid.

...and there was much rejoicing... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Worship/honor the ideals within, not a copy of these!

Will US citizens be shown on TV flushing pages of the Quran in droves?

Burn all the flags you want, we have freedom of speech, it's your $, it doesn't bother me as long as your not catching other things on FIRE... remember that one foreigner in a famous picture catching himself on fire with the American Flag? : PRICELESS

>TW<
Old 05-14-2005, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is this ignorance which is the source of much of this conflict.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's just a book, dude.

I'd feel the same way if they flushed the Old Testament.

Lol.

And let me make it clear, that while I support the Palestinians in their struggle, I have very little tolerance for fundamentalists of any religion, and that includes fundamentalist Muslims. I think that most of those guys are seriously [censored] up in the head. I think they are sexist, homophobic, ignorant bastards and I could care less how they feel about anything. If flushing a Koran will piss them off then I am all for it.

Moderate Muslims are getting fed up with this bullshit, seriously. Look at the opposition forces in Iran. I hope that the Ayatollah will be deposed some day.

I must say, Cyrus, I am quite disappointed that you are defending these total whackjobs. I thought you would know better.

Democracy now.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:09 PM

What if you turn the tables? (sorry my URL-link is not working)

Do you like this?:
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/lo...icle490466.ece

Or this?:
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/lo...icle914951.ece
Old 05-14-2005, 05:11 PM

All news stories (and I dont count MJ case or Peterson case or missing brides as news stories) have political impact. Assuming that you are a reporter for an organization that is not promoting a particular agenda, a good reporter should be reporting ths story, a good organization should be publishing it. Period.

Certain websites and "news" organization cherry pick news to suit a particular agenda. This crosses that organization out of a news organization.

This particurlar story is easily contained by Bush. A personal statement promising a full investigation, a "if it happened we are sorry" and a GENUINE investigation. Unfortunately, in the Muslim world in particular, US investigations of military misconduct resemble coverups.

A better response would be to dismantle Guntanamo and move the proceedings into the public eye.