Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2005, 03:31 PM

Default Maximizing w/a good hand

You guys know I usually give reads, but this guy just sat down.

I know the "how to get the most out of AA" hands are boring, but I didnt expect him to raise this flop...

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $3.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.33 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.66 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls.

River: (8.66 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 10.66 BB
Old 05-14-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Maximizing w/a good hand

It looks like you got the most out of this particular hand. I would usually just bet/raise the whole way though.

What were your plans if a Q or T fell on the turn?
Old 05-14-2005, 03:56 PM

Im not a big fan of the check raise. I say just 3-bet the flop and go from there.

- If he has a hand like a pair + gutshot, then you dont let him take a free card

- If he has the flopped straight, then he will cap (probably, since it seems he is fast playing it), then you lead the turn, and call down. If you go your method, you tend to get more money in on the turn, when you equity is much lower.

-Your line lets a decent player get away from a hell of a lot of hands.

The bet/call, check/raise is like THE most powerful line here. You are saying "You think your hand is good... but I shall urinate in your general direction with my hand", whereas they are less likely to fold if you show them one lead bet at a time.

EDIT: Also.. FWIW, the hand would be better posted if you didnt show us the fact that he bet the turn. When we know that, it tends to alter our opinions since we KNOW he is not looking for a free card of some sort.

Also... with a read as aggressive, Im more ok with it. As he would be more likely to bet when checked to.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im not a big fan of the check raise. I say just 3-bet the flop and go from there.

- If he has a hand like a pair + gutshot, then you dont let him take a free card

- If he has the flopped straight, then he will cap (probably, since it seems he is fast playing it), then you lead the turn, and call down. If you go your method, you tend to get more money in on the turn, when you equity is much lower.

-Your line lets a decent player get away from a hell of a lot of hands.

The bet/call, check/raise is like THE most powerful line here. You are saying "You think your hand is good... but I shall urinate in your general direction with my hand", whereas they are less likely to fold if you show them one lead bet at a time.

EDIT: Also.. FWIW, the hand would be better posted if you didnt show us the fact that he bet the turn. When we know that, it tends to alter our opinions since we KNOW he is not looking for a free card of some sort.

Also... with a read as aggressive, Im more ok with it. As he would be more likely to bet when checked to.

[/ QUOTE ]

These points are all excellent...I usually do 3-bet the flop but for some reason I had a brain fart...I havent been playing as much recently and it seems as if I'm becoming inept very quickly.

Editted: for dumbness.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I havent been playing as much recently and it seems as if I'm being inept very quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cornell still owns though.

And its not close.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cornell still owns though.

[/ QUOTE ]

You bet we do.

[ QUOTE ]
And its not close.

[/ QUOTE ]