Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2005, 06:38 PM

Default Someone suggested I limp UTG with AQ

What do I do if, afterwards, a typical player raises?
Old 05-13-2005, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Someone suggested I limp UTG with AQ

I suppose that depends on what range of hand you put the "typical" raiser on. Along with others in the pot, position relative to the raiser.

I think default should be fold though.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I suppose that depends on what range of hand you put the "typical" raiser on. Along with others in the pot, position relative to the raiser.

I think default should be fold though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and stacks and all that. But makes sense. Thanks.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:44 PM

Then you have a slight advantage b/c you know what he has. If you want to pay more, re-raise him to test out further what he has.

The only time this backfires is if, of course, he has a better hand

Another time it won't work is if, for example say it's just you and him, he's SB you're BB, he thinks no one has anything, bluffs, and bets big to push you out, it doesn't work b/c you have A Q so you call, then he draws some miracle draw on the river with a small-blind special that renders your AQ helpless.
Which is why it's better to bet the A Q out most of the time. THen you'd know for the most part, that if he didn't have a good hand, he'd fold preflop and wouldn't be around to catch those miracle cards on the flop.

You could go into like 10 levels of reverse psychology. But i've had the most success betting out my good hands.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then you have a slight advantage b/c you know what he has. If you want to pay more, re-raise him to test out further what he has.

The only time this backfires is if, of course, he has a better hand

Another time it won't work is if, for example say it's just you and him, he's SB you're BB, he thinks no one has anything, bluffs, and bets big to push you out, it doesn't work b/c you have A Q so you call, then he draws some miracle draw on the river with a small-blind special that renders your AQ helpless.
Which is why it's better to bet the A Q out most of the time. THen you'd know for the most part, that if he didn't have a good hand, he'd fold preflop and wouldn't be around to catch those miracle cards on the flop.

You could go into like 10 levels of reverse psychology. But i've had the most success betting out my good hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, we're no where near the river yet.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:01 PM

I will say that I've had the most success with this hand betting out, but small sample size both ways.

This is likely because I have no idea how to control the pot size and therefore it's tough for me to play TPTK against like 6 opponents. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2005, 07:05 PM

Aren't you a full-ring player? I think I would much rather fold AQo than raise in EP under most conditions. I would much rather limp it than fold it though.

(And to your initial question: I will seldom call the raise. Either reraise or fold. But that's not quite conventional perhaps.)
Old 05-13-2005, 07:09 PM

AQ offsuit under the gun in a full ring game is a get broke hand in my opinion. You're much more likely to lose a big pot than to win one with it. Therefore, I would fold it preflop. If it is sooted, I'll limp with it.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I will say that I've had the most success with this hand betting out, but small sample size both ways.

This is likely because I have no idea how to control the pot size and therefore it's tough for me to play TPTK against like 6 opponents. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah. true.
maybe fold then. Wait for a monster, which might get you a good table image, (not saying you don't have one already [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) and then they'll fold to your raises.
I don't know. I might not be right though, seriously. I think i've said my piece, now i'll sit back with you and let the experts take this one over [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2005, 07:23 PM

Default FOLD PREFLOP

D