Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2005, 02:42 PM

Default 5/10 nut straight with paired board.....

Party 6 Max 5/10NL
Hero is sitting with about 2400
Villain has 1000 before posting his first big blind at the table.

Hero is in cutoff with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]-K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. All folds and I raise to 35. BB is only caller. Flop comes 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]-J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]-2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Villain checks and Hero checks behind. Turn brings the Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Villain bets out 60 and Hero raises to 175. Villain calls. River pairs twos with the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Villain bets $399. Hero??
Old 05-13-2005, 02:53 PM

Default Re: 5/10 nut straight with paired board.....

Looks like a call to me. He could have something wierd like K9 or 98, but will he pay you off if you raise, his bet is sizeable. I cant see a fold here either, hard to put him on TT or JJ from the BB.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:55 PM

bah, ignore this.

call, i guess.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:56 PM

I thnink this is an easy fold. When you checked that flop, and raised on the Q, you basically showed him your cards. Thats how many many players will play AK. He knows you have the straight, that is why he moved into strength. Don't pay him off.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:05 PM

Take a deep breath and call. I think the villain bets here if he has two pair or the ass end of the straight or something like kq kj. If he has two pair he knows this board is very scary and may get you to muck the straight. On a very different line of reasoning-- He bets his straight here to get a crying call from two pair or possibly make you much a bigger straight (depending on his mentality and your table image). On the turn how about a huge overbet? The huge overbet looks like a shutout bet by two pair or set that doesn't want the villian to draw. I like to get my money in when I'm ahead. Profound, I know, but I think the idea is often forgotten.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:16 PM

Default wtf? bet the flop hello

bet the flop
Old 05-14-2005, 01:19 PM

Default results

I called and villain showed 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]-2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I don't feel like i could have conceivabley gotten away fromt this though.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:01 PM

Hi Yeti,

Though I appreciate your use of bah, I don't think it's called for here. 6-Max, Hero will raise a lot in LP pre-flop, and follow up a lot, so there's nothing wrong with occasionally checking behind. And, if you're gonna check behind, this is not a bad spot to do it: the BB will often have a decent hand/draw with which to play back, and you have a draw to the nuts that you don't want to get blown off of. With the J,T of diamonds on the board, you will get called or raised a lot on the flop, and you'll pretty much have to fold.

Crying call the river, getting 2:1 and possibly being up against a smaller straight.